Garmin Pilot for Android Users - Want to Share Your Experiences?

flightwriter

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Rob Finfrock
Hello all - I'm working on an article for Aviation International News regarding Android aviation apps. I'm very interested in speaking with users of the Garmin Pilot app on their Android tablets.

If you're interested in being interviewed for my story, please drop me a line at rob@robfinfrock.com no later than October 8. Thanks!

I just purchased a Nexus7 and installed Garmin Pilot. I plan to take it on a trip next week. I'll contact you after I have a valid flight test experience.

I have a subscription to both the Garmin Pilot and Naviator Android apps. and currently use both in the cockpit. I have both apps on my Motorola xybord 10.1 tablet and my droid bionic phone. I do not have an ADS-B receiver so cannot comment on inflight weather from either app I do plan on buying one. But I play with the weather on both on the ground.
Here's my brief take on both.
*Spit and polish: Garmin Pilot is a very pretty app. Naviator is simpler in appearance.
*Prefilght capabilities: Naviator has the edge because it provides a DUATS weather briefing. The Android version of Pilot does not offer a weather briefing. Both file flight plans via DUATS with Pilot sending a confirmation email to Gmail, Naviator sending confirmation to my Yahoo email.
*Preflight planning: Both get the job done very effectively just slightly different paths No winner in my opinion.
* Inflight use: Naviator is the app I keep migrating to while in the air because of shear simplicity of operation. The tap and go and rubber banding a route works real fast on Naviator. Last weekend I had both running and by the end of my flight I was useing Naviator only.
* Geo referencing: Pilot offers Airport diagrams for $30 a year and approach charts for $50 a year which can be purchased seperately ( a good thing). Naviator offers a subscription through Seattle Avionics ( this is what I have) for $75 a year for both airport diagrams and approach plates. Naviator is $50 a year no geo. $125 with geo. Pilot is $100 year no geo $180 a year with geo. Naviator apx $10.50 a month (not bad IMHO) Pilot apx $15 a month (also not bad IMHO).
* Inflight weather: Pilot has it's own proprietary ADS-B revceiver in the Garmin GDL-39. Naviator is not yet married up to an inflight receiver BUT is definitely comming. Rumor is it will at least be suitable with the DUAL XGPS170. Both apps provide NEXRAD, TFRS, AIRMETS zulu, tango and sierra, SIGMETs and IR clouds. Pilot adds lightning, winds aloft and fuel prices. I really like Pilots weather layout.
* Software ( I guess) Pilot operates crisply cleanly and fast. It has a very nice look on every page. But...Naviator can be sort of slugish but comes through. Naviator is attractive enough for me because I'm a little more interested in function. If I could only have one I would have to stick with Naviator for a few reasons.
1) Online forum in which the app creator interacts directly with the users and welcomes input, how do you beat that?
2) Price point, while I got Pilot onsale for 50 bucks it has an MSRP of 100 bucks which is twice the price.

Hope this helps

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike! I have a couple of additional questions for you. If you wouldn't mind, could you email me at rob@robfinfrock.com (or PM me here.) Thanks again!

I just got my Nexus 7 and installed Garmin Pilot.
I took it with me to fly this weekend. it worked fine, no glitches or so. Since this is the first app I tested I can't compare to anything else yet. I download Naviator and fltPlan apps too and going to test them this week. I'll send you my feedback regarding those apps too.

Last edited:
Mike's round-up/comparison of Garmin Pilot versus Naviator is right on the money. Were it not for the free weather capability of Pilot, I would probably choose Naviator.

I would be a bit wary of Naviator's claims about weather integration coming "soon", though. Both Lowrance and Avmap promised XM weather for YEARS, before either withdrawing from the market or achieving it. I hope I'm wrong, but I was badly burned on this, so I no longer listen to any software company's claims.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Thank you, everyone, for your responses! I have what I need for my article.

Garmin's flight planner is not working on Nexus 7 now, I called them and the said that they know the bug and working on a fix, but no fix yet after a month !

Thanks for this forum thread.

I've installed Pilot on my xoom tablet and am checking it out on the ground driving from place to place. My Pilot app keeps losing connection about 3 minutes after locking on. I've moved the tablet to several locations always trying to get a good view of the sky. Still looses connection.

Any help appreciated.

If I am posting in the wrong place I would appreciate a nod in the right direction.

Thanks!

Back