Garmin Pilot And tablet purchase advice

I spent the majority of my career working for HMI software product development companies in many different capacities. It was a small niche in the software industry. I was on the absolute ground floor of this industry with a front row seat. I worked for two companies who were industry leaders at the time I was there, and also worked for an also ran, that had EXCELLENT technology, but very little business.

From that experience I can tell you that when selecting such a product it is extremely common to suffer “analysis paralysis.” I have seen NUMEROUS clients go through the product selection process. Since it is typically manufacturing technology people including engineers, IT people (who had no understanding of the technology at the factory floor level,) and middle/upper management people who make these decisions, it was common to see them being unable to see the forest for the trees.

The trap that I saw many people fall into was to spend their time disecting the technology, while ignoring the financial stability of the provider, learning curve( not a big deal with these products,) connectivity and the support availability which is a dire necessity in that world and quite important with any software product.

I used Foreflight from 2011 until early last year when installing a Garmin 345 gave me Garmin Pilot three months free. Even after factoring in my extreme familiarity with FF, I still felt that it was more intuitive than GP. As far as data accuracy goes, from where I sit, that is a non starter for me. Both of them are plenty accurate for practical use. Both of these companies will most likely be around for the long term, but if not, so what? You pay on annual basis anyway. If you have to change you are not losing a software/hardware investment.

To get to my personal conclusion, I believe that GP is runner up to FF in the areas of product maturity and technical support availability. Unlike the HMI industry, connectivity is taken care of with these products. That is why I went back to FF and for now I believe is the best choice.

This is MY opinion and that’s all. I respect those who have drawn different conclusions. I hope that you guys will avoid “analysis paralysis.”

Last edited:
I use Garmin Pilot on my friend's iPad Mini when flying with him and on my iPhone 8 Plus when flying alone. I prefer the smaller screen on the phone, but the iPad does allow you to split the screen. I like to have the airport info on the right, with the GPS screen (I prefer this over the sectional) on the left. I've never had an issue with either setup.

From that experience I can tell you that when selecting such a product it is extremely common to suffer “analysis paralysis.”

I hope that you guys will avoid “analysis paralysis.”

I know "analysis paralysis" is a thing... However, as a data analytics guy, I absolutely HATE that phrase because the most common usage I've seen of it is by people who do not like to do any analysis whatsoever and have already made up their mind... And then when you try to use data to show them there's a clear answer, they just say "analysis paralysis!" and go do what they want anyway. (So why'd you pay me to come here then? :mad2:)

A very fair and accurate response and I have indeed seen what you describe, but for every situation like that I have seen, I have seen at least one involving over analysis in an area that is in the background of the clients needs, or a situation where that particular parameter is clearly met by both products. Then, a decision is made based on that one issue while much more important features or functionality are ignored.

Yes the comment is indeed used sometimes to protect oneself from being exposed for lack of understanding the subject.

I've been using an 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 for a couple years...It replaced my previous 7" Android tablet (Nexus) for GP. Works great with a GDL39.

Jim

I still use my Nexus 7 with Avare and DroidEFB because I like the size and good screen. I got a Lenovo 10 inch tablet for Christmas and it is borderline too big and I discovered it doesn't have a built in magnetometer, so no compass. Fail.

I'm not a big fan of Samsung phones, but their tablets are acceptable, once you uninstall all the S-Crap...

Back