Garmin pilot AHARS not showing correct pitch and roll

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
def6c38565632d24d603939ebda80789.jpg

Anyone knows how to fix this? I thought there was a reset pitch and roll somewhere but for the life of me I can’t find it. If it matters, the iPad is not mounted. AHARS data is coming from flightstream 510

Both G5 and the TC shows level flight.

It's showing whatever the FS 510 is sending it, so that would be the first place to look.

How do I look up that data in FS 510? My plan was to connect the iPad to GTX 345 and not FS 510 and see if that shows anything different. I believe the FS 510 is relaying the data from 345. Or is my understanding not correct?

How do I look up that data in FS 510? My plan was to connect the iPad to GTX 345 and not FS 510 and see if that shows anything different. I believe the FS 510 is relaying the data from 345. Or is my understanding not correct?
Yes, if you have a GTX 345, then that's likely the source that your FS 510 is using. Did the GTX 345 AHRS data work OK with Garmin Pilot before you installed the FS 510?

Yes, if you have a GTX 345, then that's likely the source that your FS 510 is using. Did the GTX 345 AHRS data work OK with Garmin Pilot before you installed the FS 510?

They were installed at the same time. I don’t use the synthetic vision much, but whenever I have , it’s not showing the right data. Just haven’t gotten around to troubleshoot that until now.

It's showing whatever the FS 510 is sending it, so that would be the first place to look.
Not necessarily. The portables have this button which allows you to perform a relative adjustment.

Screenshot 2020-12-05 160033.png

They were installed at the same time. I don’t use the synthetic vision much, but whenever I have , it’s not showing the right data. Just haven’t gotten around to troubleshoot that until now.
When I had my GTX 345 installed, I did have to do some extra configuration on the AHRS output after I got home, working with a shop over the phone.

Is your FS510, GTX345 and GTN software up to date. There was an earlier version of the software combination that AHARS on pilot displayed incorrect data.

Is your FS510, GTX345 and GTN software up to date. There was an earlier version of the software combination that AHARS on pilot displayed incorrect data.

I have to look up the exact version, but all of them were installed in June 2020, and at that time they were all upto the latest version

Our 345 is notorious for a bad AHRS. Apparently is is a prevalent issue with them. I've stopped trying to use that feature of it.

When I had my GTX 345 installed, I did have to do some extra configuration on the AHRS output after I got home, working with a shop over the phone.

I might have to try this, I will talk to the shop

Our 345 is notorious for a bad AHRS. Apparently is is a prevalent issue with them. I've stopped trying to use that feature of it.

Well that’s kinda disheartening to hear.

Our 345 was juuuuust before that firmware fix so AHRS doesn’t work at all. (Yet? We need to do it sometime...)

But.. I remember reading the AHRS setup doc and looking through the 345’s installer menus and there’s a required AHRS setup and calibration set of steps to teach it where “level” is, and whether it’s installed perfectly square in the panel or angled toward the pilot (changes the angles the accelerometers will see in banks) and such.

The report above that it doesn’t work well is a bummer but I bet they didn’t do the AHRS config and calibration stuff at all — or at least that’s where I’d start making sure it’s configured correctly first.

345 has to be told ...

- to send the data to the Flightstream
- where level is (have to get the aircraft level on the gear or fiddle with it until it’s accurate in flight)
- exactly how the box itself is angled or installed in reference to the airplane’s three axes.

If all three of those weren’t done, they didn’t finish the install job correctly. Might be more that I don’t remember.

Our 345 was juuuuust before that firmware fix so AHRS doesn’t work at all. (Yet? We need to do it sometime...)

But.. I remember reading the AHRS setup doc and looking through the 345’s installer menus and there’s a required AHRS setup and calibration set of steps to teach it where “level” is, and whether it’s installed perfectly square in the panel or angled toward the pilot (changes the angles the accelerometers will see in banks) and such.

The report above that it doesn’t work well is a bummer but I bet they didn’t do the AHRS config and calibration stuff at all — or at least that’s where I’d start making sure it’s configured correctly first.

345 has to be told ...

- to send the data to the Flightstream
- where level is (have to get the aircraft level on the gear or fiddle with it until it’s accurate in flight)
- exactly how the box itself is angled or installed in reference to the airplane’s three axes.

If all three of those weren’t done, they didn’t finish the install job correctly. Might be more that I don’t remember.
I don't have a FS 510, but otherwise, as I mentioned, I was able to do all the configuration myself, guided by the shop over the phone, without having to fly the plane back. No charge for their time, of course.

def6c38565632d24d603939ebda80789.jpg

Anyone knows how to fix this? I thought there was a reset pitch and roll somewhere but for the life of me I can’t find it. If it matters, the iPad is not mounted. AHARS data is coming from flightstream 510

Both G5 and the TC shows level flight.
I apologize if this is a Clark Griswold style "are you sure the lights are plugged in?" question.. but, I notice on the HSI, or rather the standard rate indicator, that there is no rate of turn registered.. and based on the bank and ball it would suggest you are slipping.. IE, going forward but with slight left bank and right rudder.. the bank is mild.. maybe 2*? This might not be "traditionally" perceptible in steam gauge planes

Are you absolutely certain you were trimmed and actually totally level?

I've noticed similar error with my Stratus 3.. but usually the bank error is wildly inaccurate, IE, obviously wrong. Makes me question its usefulness should I ever need it IMC in the case of instrument failure..

In my case, the install menu was switched around, so it showed the wrong axes. It's been three years, so I don't remember exactly, but I think I just had to do something like specify that it was installed sideways (which it wasn't), then everything started indicating correctly.

I spoke to the installer today, he said he can do some adjustments in flight, I will take him up when I have a chance. It is possible it wasn’t calibrated on the ground during install.

I apologize if this is a Clark Griswold style "are you sure the lights are plugged in?" question.. but, I notice on the HSI, or rather the standard rate indicator, that there is no rate of turn registered.. and based on the bank and ball it would suggest you are slipping.. IE, going forward but with slight left bank and right rudder.. the bank is mild.. maybe 2*? This might not be "traditionally" perceptible in steam gauge planes

Are you absolutely certain you were trimmed and actually totally level?

I've noticed similar error with my Stratus 3.. but usually the bank error is wildly inaccurate, IE, obviously wrong. Makes me question its usefulness should I ever need it IMC in the case of instrument failure..

Yupp, total level, flying on AP no altitude change, TC dead center. I want to use this as a back up in IMC, hence the inquiry.

Yupp, total level, flying on AP no altitude change, TC dead center. I want to use this as a back up in IMC, hence the inquiry.
Ah!

Well I will be curious to what the group says. Mine is not super accurate, even though it's getting the data off a Stratus 3..

(top right corner of the screen

of Garmin Pilot app) Menu -> Reset Pitch/Roll ?

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
(top right corner of the screen

of Garmin Pilot app) Menu -> Reset Pitch/Roll ?

That’s the one I was looking for, but couldn’t find it in the air. Wonder if that has be done on the ground?

Back