Garmin Pilot Acting Strange

Leo Langston

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
llangston1
On my recent flight from TX to Il and then to Branson, MO for the annual Navion Society convention I experienced some unexpected issues with my Garmin Pilot app on my iPad. Several times during a flight leg I would tap on an airport to bring up the large circle with icons for airport info, weather, etc. However when I tapped on the weather or airport info icon in the circle, the circle would just close and disappear rather than open up the underlying weather or info data. Many times I was forced to use my iPhone to get the underlying data to actually display. Sometimes changing the map zoom amount would allow the data to be displayed but at other times that had no effect. I tried closing and reopening the GP app and that didn’t help either. Are there certain iPad or GP settings I need to check to precent this from happening again? This got very annoying as a flight leg progressed and I was trying to find a frequency or get a weather update. Any idea why this was happening and how to prevent it from happening again (beside switching to FF!)

Thanks
Leo

I have not experienced this, but I’ll offer you can get the same info you are looking for using the widgets, or the airport pages.

This was my first really long cross country trip using GP. I was a FF user before but switched to GP when I added Garmin GNX375 to my panel and FF prices went up. I am not used to using the widgets in real time just yet. I have them set up but just forget to open them up in flight. I had never experienced this behavior on any local flights so it was just frustrating for the app to not behave as expected.

I didn’t think of a reboot in the heat of action. I just Used my phone but that is a good idea.

Back