Garmin Pilot 5 out - iPad

CT4ME

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CT4ME
Just in time for Sun.n.Fun, Garmin Pilot 5 is out.
Track up / North up
Configurable maps
Scratch pad improvements
And more
...New FF and now new GP...gotta be something from WX any day now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 45
  • picb.jpg
    picb.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 41
  • picc.jpg
    picc.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
So many amazing little features. These guys are on a roll.

snip...
...New FF and now new GP...gotta be something from WX any day now

How is everyone comparing these? I downloaded a couple to try. Didn't get to try them much in the first 30 days. And each one wants a subscription to use them further. Are you buying subscriptions to all of them?

How is everyone comparing these? I downloaded a couple to try. Didn't get to try them much in the first 30 days. And each one wants a subscription to use them further. Are you buying subscriptions to all of them?

I have subs to FF and GP. The others I've tried to evaluate during their trial periods but they fly by too quickly.

I, sadly, have subs for the Big 3, plus Naviator and SkyCharts Pro. I have an iPad mini, and the wife has a Nexus 7. In the Grand Scheme of flying the subs don't amount to more than a long weekend of Fuel. Plus, I no longer buy paper charts and AF/D... just mooch an occasional expired chart for safety (and firestarter!).
As my subscriptions expire, I'll decide which one(s) are worthy of renewal.

Last edited:
I downloaded it and am having some issues and notice a performance degradation on an iPad 2. So far:

1) Three times during start up of the app, it crashed and returned to the main iPad screen. This is even after a full restart of the iPad and the Garmin app.
2) When you do the long press on an airport on the map screen, it hour glasses and does not come back with the airport information.
3) Switching from map to flight planning or any other screen is slow.

I am disappointed that they also did not include the ForeFlight style of automatic routing. Still the "pick the two points and modify" routine.

Anyone else seeing performance issues (I have plenty of free memory and all others apps are closed)? I hope they didn't rush this out for Sun n Fun and we will need to live with it until 5.0.1 is released.

Here is an example of the hour glassing on an airport.

be8ube9u.jpg

I have not been able to find dynamic maps like my 796 has. Anybody know how to turn these on?

map layer icon in lower left... choose "VFR" (as opposed to sectionals/TAC)

Looks nice, I see they have the same overlapping airspace issue that many programs have. In San Diego we have a couple spots in the Class B with multiple layers(i.e. 1800-3200 and 6800-10000) and tapping on the area only gives you one of those two.

Back