Garmin Pilot 5.1 Released

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
This is the iPad version. It includes:

-- Terrain and Obstacle data found in Garmin Avionics for pop-up alerts.
-- ATC preferred routes available....select Routes from File and Brief view
-- STAR/SID can be automatically added to active flight plan
-- Much improved download engine...faster, more concurrent, more robust
-- SafeTaxi available from Airport menu

There are a number of other little tweaks and improvements. They've also revised their subscription plans a bit, bringing them more in line with competitive offerings. I think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

I had eight updates, about 249MB of data, which it downloaded in a couple of minutes. I saw six concurrent downloads at one time. Seems as fast or slightly faster than what I've been used to with ForeFlight, which was one of my aggravations with GP.

About time on the ATC routing! Been using that for quite a while of ForeFlight. I did not look closely at the pricing at the bottom of the splash page. Prices the same?

About time on the ATC routing! Been using that for quite a while of ForeFlight. I did not look closely at the pricing at the bottom of the splash page. Prices the same?

I didn't study them closely, but it looks like they've done a better job of bundling the SafeTaxi, which I always thought was overpriced separately.

Dang... tell me if I'm wrong, but it looks like they did what FF did... announced "terrain and obstacles"... but make you get a premium (+$49) subscription to use the feature. This really distinguishes WingX- you get terrain and obstacles as part of the normal sub.

Back