Garmin Pilot 4 for iOS

Mike I

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike I
I saw that a few days ago Garmin updated Pilot My-Cast to now being called "Garmin Pilot", and it's version 4.0.

I'm a ForeFlight user (tried WingX but didn't enjoy the experience), but the new Garmin product looks pretty slick. Pricing is comparable to ForeFlight, however it's possible to purchase SafeTaxi georef diagrams without purchasing georef approach plates, which isn't possible in ForeFlight.

It also does "rubber band" flight planning like FF. The PIREP information is much clearer in Garmin Pilot, and the report is decoded to real English, which is nice. The Trip Planning page seems to be a nicer interface. All in all, it feels very slick.

Anyone else given it a shot? I haven't flown with it, but have just played with it briefly on the ground. Real world input?

I love FF and their responsiveness, but this product is intriguing.

'Looks good on paper and feels good to play with... it appears FF and WingX have some serious competition! Of course, the "devil's in the details", so time will tell. In many cases, one feature can make/break the decision to use one product over the other. And bug-fix response.
I haven't found terrain yet, or a notepad.
I love the split screen and the little slider that progresses with the route. The widgets automatically display upcoming airport info and weather
I wonder if Garmin will have an internal conflict... wouldn't a really well-done tablet product hurt the sales of their hardware?
BTW... Garmin website shows this product will be available for Android, too!

Last edited:
I flew with it, and I like it. I've been missing my Aera that was stolen, it has enough of the "Aera Feel" and it's more inutitve for me anyway. All it's lacking for me at this point is terrain data.

Back