Garmin pilot 10.2.5

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
Adds support for iOS and iPad OS 14.1
Adds satellite and flyover view based on Apple Maps. Something I really miss from FlyQ. Wish they used a better map, but hey I will take what I can get

Thanks for the update.

Back in the Android world, Garmin Pilot (which is the only full EFB app with non-US support) just bumped up to 7.6. In 7.5, they'd fixed occasional display issues with SiriusXM radar imagery coming from a GDL 51 and added more European-specific flight-planning stuff. In 7.6, they've revamped the UI to add a configurable toolbar at the bottom as an alternative to the left-side hamburger menu -- it seems pretty well done, but it's also (finally) starting to strain the capabilities of my ancient 2013 Nexus 7 tablet, so I'm seeing occasional display stutters for the first time. Probably time to upgrade.

I find that GP -- even the lagging Android version -- has far more features than I really need or use. When I'm VFR, I usually have a VNC/sectional open at 2nm or 5nm zoom level, and watch for air-to-air ADS-B traffic from the GTX-345 (we don't have TIS-B in Canada). When I'm IFR, I'll zoom out more, use the Garmin vector map (which is nice), watch the weather imagery closely, and be ready to pop an approach plate or airport info open.

All the other bells and whistles in these EFB apps, like synthetic vision, profile view, etc etc are dangerous distractions that can, and do cause pilots to forget about their planes and fly or taxi into things (a recurring motif in recent NTSB reports). My motto is "fly the plane, not the tablet." :)

If Garmin would connect to Stratus, I would drop my FF subscription pretty quickly. I used to be a GP user when I was renting in a 172 with a 430w, GDL-88 and FlightStream 210. Worked great with GP.

Plane we bought has a 430w, but it has a Stratus for ADS-B in/out and that won't work with GP. So I switched to FF. But Garmin seems to release features like that flyover view and pre-set aircraft performance tables to their $150 version. FF charges even more than the $200/year I pay for features like that.

Will Garmin ever link up to Stratus?

If you just want a basic EFB with moving map, approach plates, etc, FltPlan Go costs $0 and works with the Stratus.

One of these days after I get IR done (soon) I may play around with it side by side with FF. Don’t want to learn a new EFB right before checkride, but worth considering after when I have some time to learn anything other than IFR procedures.

There seems to be an issue with the state taxi diagrams, especially with the airports in San Diego area. Buyer beware.

Back