Garmin or Avidyne with Dynon

@Llk, looks good. Pretty much exactly what I will do! New panel with the complete Dynon. Don't care for the Big G anymore and prefer to do things myself. An install like that will easily save $10-$ 15K?
Is that a Mooney panel?

The Dynon does NOT cross-fill to the Avidyne OR the Garmin. It can be setup to tune com frequencies on the Avidyne, but not if you have a Dynon COM. I will receive flight plane and HSI information from the Avidyne or the Garmin equally.

@Llk, looks good. Pretty much exactly what I will do! New panel with the complete Dynon. Don't care for the Big G anymore and prefer to do things myself. An install like that will easily save $10-$ 15K?
Is that a Mooney panel?

That one happens to be a Lance. 2 1100’s, 1 800 for engine monitoring, backup AI, everything battery backed up, ADAHRS/429/EMS. I could probably Knock out the next similar customer install in one week including GPS and Audio Panel.

The biggest speed impediment to completion is the carving of the panel. The harnessing is pretty easy.

Since I have no real reason to change my autopilot, I may build a Dynon system for my mooney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk lo

I had one of the first GTN 750's installed in my Mooney 201 and loved the ability to see the geo-referenced plates on the larger screen and learned to love the other features like their flight planing and the remote transponder and audio panel. When I bought a Bravo there were some parts supply issues with Garmin so I went with the IFD 540. It's a different format but has more functionality than the GTN. Things like free Wifi and Bluetooth as well as being able to do flight transfer between FF was an additional bonus. Plus the IFD can show more useful information, the way you want it, on their single screen. I wanted to have traffic showing separately, as well as more "times to" and distances where it's limited with the GTN 750. And there's many more information fields available if needed as well as being able to hide them if wanted.

Saying that, I just bought another plane and have installed another GTN 750 for the main reason that it will show a fully geo-referenced chart that's easy to read when flying an approach. Secondly I wanted either the G3X or a G500txi for the reason that the G500 will interface with my current autopilot (KFC 200) or when the AP does give up I can easily install the GFC 500 autopilot. Secondly when the time for resale comes up the Garmin package will sell quicker because of there being more buyers and a confidence in Garmin. (undeserved but viable)

I probably would seriously consider going the IFD 540/Dynon HDX but I really didn't care for their D10 because it's so old and minimally functional. Not to mention that Dynon hasn't an autopilot yet for Mooneys yet. I understand that Dynon has a new standby AI but it too is marginally functional compared to either the G5 and especially the the GI275.

That one happens to be a Lance. 2 1100’s, 1 800 for engine monitoring, backup AI, everything battery backed up, ADAHRS/429/EMS. I could probably Knock out the next similar customer install in one week including GPS and Audio Panel.

The biggest speed impediment to completion is the carving of the panel. The harnessing is pretty easy.

Since I have no real reason to change my autopilot, I may build a Dynon system for my mooney.

Don’t know a Lance, but why are they at the very bottom of the panel?

Might want to consider flush mounting the D10, like the G5s they stick out compared to the glass.

For my G3X/GFC500 installation, the autopilot took the bulk of the time. And I had 50 circuit breakers to install, but the shop use CNC so not much speed impediment.

I had one of the first GTN 750's installed in my Mooney 201 and loved the ability to see the geo-referenced plates on the larger screen and learned to love the other features like their flight planing and the remote transponder and audio panel. When I bought a Bravo there were some parts supply issues with Garmin so I went with the IFD 540. It's a different format but has more functionality than the GTN. Things like free Wifi and Bluetooth as well as being able to do flight transfer between FF was an additional bonus. Plus the IFD can show more useful information, the way you want it, on their single screen. I wanted to have traffic showing separately, as well as more "times to" and distances where it's limited with the GTN 750. And there's many more information fields available if needed as well as being able to hide them if wanted.

Saying that, I just bought another plane and have installed another GTN 750 for the main reason that it will show a fully geo-referenced chart that's easy to read when flying an approach. Secondly I wanted either the G3X or a G500txi for the reason that the G500 will interface with my current autopilot (KFC 200) or when the AP does give up I can easily install the GFC 500 autopilot. Secondly when the time for resale comes up the Garmin package will sell quicker because of there being more buyers and a confidence in Garmin. (undeserved but viable)

I probably would seriously consider going the IFD 540/Dynon HDX but I really didn't care for their D10 because it's so old and minimally functional. Not to mention that Dynon hasn't an autopilot yet for Mooneys yet. I understand that Dynon has a new standby AI but it too is marginally functional compared to either the G5 and especially the the GI275.
Good news, they just released the D30. Looks much better than the D10.

Yes but unfortunately it does less than half of what a G5 offers.

I’ve heard that Avidyne is more intuitive to an airline guy like myself.
It usually ends up in an ideology debate when you talk about Garmin vs. Avidyne. But I agree that Avidyne is more intuitive. I've had an IFD-540 for 4 years. It reduces the workload at the times you need it most. Especially if you fly in the Northeast corridor where they put you on victor airways. The feature I use the most is the automatic sequencing. I don't have to remember to switch from GPS to ILS. The Avidyne does this automatically depending on what approach you choose.

The touchscreen is optional. So if it's really bumpy (to the point where you can't see straight) you still have the option to navigate all the features with knobs and physical buttons. Plus there is the mini keyboard option which I use all the time.

And finally, the charts updates are cheaper for Avidyne.

It usually ends up in an ideology debate when you talk about Garmin vs. Avidyne. But I agree that Avidyne is more intuitive. I've had an IFD-540 for 4 years. It reduces the workload at the times you need it most. Especially if you fly in the Northeast corridor where they put you on victor airways. The feature I use the most is the automatic sequencing. I don't have to remember to switch from GPS to ILS. The Avidyne does this automatically depending on what approach you choose.

The touchscreen is optional. So if it's really bumpy (to the point where you can't see straight) you still have the option to navigate all the features with knobs and physical buttons. Plus there is the mini keyboard option which I use all the time.

And finally, the charts updates are cheaper for Avidyne.
Thank you for sharing your experience with IFD. Good to know about the mini keyboard. I am thinking about panel mount that keyboard under the 540.

Thank you for sharing your experience with IFD. Good to know about the mini keyboard. I am thinking about panel mount that keyboard under the 540.
Here's some eye candy to help you decide.
The IFD supports both bluetooth and WiFi. No additional modules to buy.

My IFD-540 has the Avidyne ADS-B in module as well as the transponder. I have a Strutus ADS-B receiver, but I like all things to be redundant in my airplane. If I forget to turn on my Stratus, the iPad automatically picks up weather from the IFD. Often I'll zoom out the iPad to 200+ miles so that I can see how the weather is moving over time (turn on animation). On the IFD I keep it zoomed in to maybe 10-20 miles so that I can see where the holes in the weather might be. It's the best of both worlds.

The mini keyboard also controls the integrated Avidyne transponder. The transponder is an optional module.

The other feature I use the most is the frequency selection. I rarely have to type in a frequency. Tap the FREQ button and scroll through the list. Select from either the waypoint or enroute frequencies. It helps reduce workload. If you fly solo IFR it's a tremendous help because it reduces stress.

1701794561545.png

I’ve heard that Avidyne is more intuitive to an airline guy like myself.
Exactly! Not an airline guy, but the difference between Garmin's logic and Avidyne's is night and day, with Avidyne's being far superior. I swapped out my GNS 530W for an Avidyne IFD 540 a couple of years ago, and it's probably the best upgrade I've done to the plane. Plus, Avidyne's tech support and social media support (on Facebook) is outstanding. I can't speak highly enough about Avidyne. No affiliation other than being an extremely satisfied customer.

Back