Garmin Nuvi or other Auto GPS experience

I guess a 17" HP laptop with internet access and GPS tracking, mounted on a stand, attached to the floorboard is... overkill? :)

I helped a friend install a system almost exactly like that but without internet. He almost never uses it now. The stand was made from gas piping (I think), and we could never get it tight enough that it didn't drift at least somewhat when maneuvering. Also, it's rather uncomfortable for the passenger, as the stand connects to the floor in the passenger footwell.

One of these days I'll get a real GPS, for now I just use my phone when I need to. I'm stuck between getting an automotive only GPS, or a 196.

I helped a friend install a system almost exactly like that but without internet. He almost never uses it now. The stand was made from gas piping (I think), and we could never get it tight enough that it didn't drift at least somewhat when maneuvering. Also, it's rather uncomfortable for the passenger, as the stand connects to the floor in the passenger footwell.

One of these days I'll get a real GPS, for now I just use my phone when I need to. I'm stuck between getting an automotive only GPS, or a 196.
I actually have a stand that was mounted in the Jetta I used to have and later the Cherokee. The stand is expensive as ever, over $280, but only one of a few made. It's still not the most stable. I can set it up again quickly for a long trip though instead of using an air card, I access the internet using my Treo as a modem.

I actually have a stand that was mounted in the Jetta I used to have and later the Cherokee. The stand is expensive as ever, over $280, but only one of a few made. It's still not the most stable. I can set it up again quickly for a long trip though instead of using an air card, I access the internet using my Treo as a modem.

You can get a laptop stand from RAM:

rampod3a.jpg

31632.jpg

http://www.ram-mount.com/flash3/vehicleinstall.html
http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/rampodiii.htm
http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/nodrillbases.htm

I had ideas of doing that in the Cherokee in the days before XM weather was invented, but it would have made it more than a little cramped in there.

Last edited:
Amazon has the Nuvi 660 for $296.21.

That's the one I have with the big hi-res screen, the bluetooth cell phone speaker phone interface, FM traffic, MP3 player and the whole nine yards.

I paid near $700 for it just over a year ago. :mad:

Our 2006 Jeep Commander has the built in GPS option. My wife was skeptical about the $1200 price tag for the option when we bought the Jeep, but it's one of the toys she enjoys the most.

Upgrade the database? Well, maybe next year. $199 for a new DVD to drop in the drive. I'll have to read the instructions to see how to do it. Not something you do on a regular basis.

Upgrade the database? Well, maybe next year. $199 for a new DVD to drop in the drive. I'll have to read the instructions to see how to do it. Not something you do on a regular basis.
If it's like ours, you push eject, remove the old disc, and insert the new one. No, I'm not kidding. It's that easy.

If it's like ours, you push eject, remove the old disc, and insert the new one. No, I'm not kidding. It's that easy.

I expect it's something like that. But given where they hid the process for putting daylight savings into play for the clock, who knows where it is. :D

Back