Garmin new GTN650 750

Does this mean I'll be able to pick up the 430 really cheap?

Oh, right. It's Garmin. Silly me.

Does this mean I'll be able to pick up the 430 really cheap?

Oh, right. It's Garmin. Silly me.

If there's a word that should be *****'ed out on an aviation board, it would be the word "cheap." :D

Here is the intro on it. www.http://sites.garmin.com/gtn/My aera 510 has many of the features offered with the new "magic" septin my 510 is probably a whole lot less money, and I am guessing, a lot less performance. I think the transition would be pretty simple from the aera to the magic, but it is not going to ever happen in my 33 year old Warrior.

John

Last edited:
Yes, but the Aera isn't a panel mounted unit. These are, and they have WAAS. I'm not sure what level of certification they have, but if they're intended to replace the 430/530, I'd be pretty confident in saying they're approach certified.

I'm sure they'll continue to support the 430/530 for quite a while. I'm more concerned now about the 480.

Eh I still prefer my various knobs and buttons.

I'm not sure what level of certification they have, but if they're intended to replace the 430/530, I'd be pretty confident in saying they're approach certified.

Yup! TSO-c146a. (IE, IFR-approved, WAAS, the whole bit.)

I'm sure they'll continue to support the 430/530 for quite a while. I'm more concerned now about the 480.

The 480's been dead in the water for a couple of years already. :dunno:

They say they're still going to be not only supporting, but still selling the 430W/530W. Smart move, as there's a lot of people who don't want touchscreens in their airplanes.

Hubby mentioned it yesterday. Not too keen on being a pioneer again.

Don't forget that, aside from TSO-146C, it will also undergo DO-178B and DO-160F (or maybe G, I think they're working on a new release) testing for software and hardware, respectively.

I like the 530, I'll stick with it. But this is a natural progression.

What does that mean? They haven't sold any for a lot longer than a couple of years. There probably won't be any more software updates, true. But up til now if you have a failure, you can send it back to them for repairs. True the labor rate is exorbitant, but that's Garmin. And there is currently an active recall to fix a potential RFI problem. Is the day when they will no longer perform the fix just around the corner? Those are the things I'm wondering about... since I have a 480, and like it a lot.

They say they're still going to be not only supporting, but still selling the 430W/530W. Smart move, as there's a lot of people who don't want touchscreens in their airplanes.
I agree, though personally I'd reserve judgment until trying one. If there is anything on the frame you can brace your hand on in turbulence, as I seem to have read, it might actually be pretty usable.

A lot of people don't want glass in their airplanes, either, although if you buy anything new that's no longer an option. The only option is which glass package you get.

Give it 10-15 years, and this will be the same. I don't view it as a problem, really, it's just evolution of technology.

Back