Garmin made something cheaper!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
I know everyone likes to bag on Garmin for being expensive, but... The flying club switched to Garmin from Jepp for getting nav data for the GPSs because Garmin was cheaper.

A year ago, when we first had the GTN 750 installed, we went with Garmin for the same reason.

Last year's package had everything but the approach plates (c'mon, we have iPads for that)... This year's package has everything INCLUDING the approach plates, and was $75 less than we paid last year.

Confirm jepp got out of the navdata business for the gns 430w? Went to the website and it showed no longer supporting the option. Looks like Garmin is now directly providing database support for these units?

Confirm jepp got out of the navdata business for the gns 430w? Went to the website and it showed no longer supporting the option. Looks like Garmin is now directly providing database support for these units?

No, you have a choice of Jepp or Garmin provided Navdata now(Terrain and Obstacle is still Garmin only). Jepp still lists the 400 and 500 on their horrible website just like usual. http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp

No, you have a choice of Jepp or Garmin provided Navdata now(Terrain and Obstacle is still Garmin only). Jepp still lists the 400 and 500 on their horrible website just like usual. http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp

Interesting. It looks like the GTN series isn't supported by Jeppesen at all... They probably (and correctly) assume that nobody wants to deal with cards when they can get the FlightStream 510 and update from an iPad. All the more impressive that Garmin made something cheaper, when they have no competition...

Interesting. It looks like the GTN series isn't supported by Jeppesen at all... They probably (and correctly) assume that nobody wants to deal with cards when they can get the FlightStream 510 and update from an iPad. All the more impressive that Garmin made something cheaper, when they have no competition...
It just looks like you have to buy your Jeppesen NavData for the GTN from Garmin(or the Garmin flavored data) which makes sense to simplify things for the end user.

Edit, no, Jepp still has stuff for the GTN, but why would you not put it on the avionics page with all the other Garmin stuff. https://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/GarminBundles/index.jsp

Half the reason to get your Garmin updates from Garmin is to never have to try and comprehend Jepps website ever again. Oh, look, "Call to purchase" come on Jepp, it's 2019 you should have figured out this on-line ordering thing by now.

Last edited:
Can confirm, switched from Jepp to Garmin this month nav data on a GNS-430W. Cheaper and easier to deal with! For anyone wondering, you can use your Jepp data card with the Garmin programmer and data!

It worked well for me too with my 750. I got the FlightCharts added this year and the region expanded from the US to North America and the price was still less.

It worked well for me too with my 750. I got the FlightCharts added this year and the region expanded from the US to North America and the price was still less.

Yup. Exactly what we did. The only drawback is that the charts take a lot longer to load than the other data does... I usually end up letting it load while I taxi out. :)

Back