Garmin just told me to pound sand

Nathan Miller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Nathan
(In so many words)

I had a dealer install my GNX 375 back in January. My IA is putting in a GMA 345 audio panel and a GTR 225 com. I'd like to know what pins to use to output RS-232 to the GTR 225 to take advantage of the nearest feature for frequency lookup. Plus I'd like to have the GNX 375 interface with a KI 209 so I can navigate with GPS for IFR.

Garmin refused to help and told me to take it to a dealer. I already had a dealer install it. I'm simply trying to interface it with my new audio panel, radio, and new to me indicator.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to look? The dealer said they would send it to me, but we're going on 2 weeks at the moment. Thanks.

(In so many words)

I had a dealer install my GNX 375 back in January. My IA is putting in a GMA 345 audio panel and a GTR 225 com. I'd like to know what pins to use to output RS-232 to the GTR 225 to take advantage of the nearest feature for frequency lookup. Plus I'd like to have the GNX 375 interface with a KI 209 so I can navigate with GPS for IFR.

Garmin refused to help and told me to take it to a dealer. I already had a dealer install it. I'm simply trying to interface it with my new audio panel, radio, and new to me indicator.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to look? The dealer said they would send it to me, but we're going on 2 weeks at the moment. Thanks.
Sounds more like an issue with your dealer! Many manufacturers require you to work with a dealer, BTW. Not rare, nothing wrong with that. Want info about your Ford? See your dealer, Ford will tell you.

Create a log in on Vans Air Force forum (you just need to answer a simple question that you can find online).

The collective knowledge on this stuff is amazing. I'll bet you'll get a precise answer there right away. I wouldn't mention your plane type, let them assume it's an RV.

The maintenance manual with ICA that anyone can download from Garmin's site does have the pinout for all the connectors on the GTX 375.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?partNumber=010-01823-01&tab=manuals

Select version STC whatever.

Personally I think any STC device installed should be required to include the install manual for the owners records.(And you should ask your dealer for a copy anyway.)

I wouldn't mention your plane type, let them assume it's an RV.

cnjSS6Il.jpg

Love that movie ... in moderation.

Thanks for all the replies! I have an install manual in my possession ^_^

Maybe I'll go back to not hating Garmin as much...

Wait until it breaks down. Garmin left he AOG when my audio panel crapped out. I'd never put another piece of Garmin junk in my plane given a choice.

But let me break the bad news to you. I don't think you can connect a KI-209 to anything other than the KX 170/155 radios no matter what support they give you.

I've had 2 shops recommend the KI 209 for the GNX 375. I just got my paws on an install manual for the 375. They have an entire section on interfacing with a KI 209. Things are looking good for it.

You can definitely interface a KI-209 with it, just requires a placard because it uses composite. “ TO/FROM FLAG WILL NOT FUNCTION CORRECTLY WHEN DISPLAYING GPS DEVIATION. USE TO/FROM INDICATION ON GPS”

Exactly correct, according to page 113 of the install manual.

New instrument student (full disclosure :) I'm surprised to/from flags are used at all for GPS. Figured it was point to point navigation and who gives a rip if you're to/from your last waypoint - you've got another one you're going DirectTo

Btw, the experimental manuals for garmin products actually explain what options exist, and are a lot more useful than the certified ones!

(In so many words)

Right direction? Hire someone who knows how to do this installation.

Wait until it breaks down. Garmin left he AOG when my audio panel crapped out. I'd never put another piece of Garmin junk in my plane given a choice.

But let me break the bad news to you. I don't think you can connect a KI-209 to anything other than the KX 170/155 radios no matter what support they give you.

Hi Ron !

I do believe I read where you can implement quite a few legacy cdi's with the newer Garmin gps units...even an old VOA4. The install manual along with KI209 manual should show all you need to get going. I will take a look myself...

Back