Garmin GTX 335 question

Scott MacMoyle

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M
I normally fly with the transponder showing ALT and 1200. It flashes R after the 1200. I assume thats normal. Is it recieving or replying ? also is it normal to get the no 1090 es TX message when at low altitude ? I check my flights on flightaware and it shows its being recived by dozens of ground stations along the way,

Thanks
Scott

I normally fly with the transponder showing ALT and 1200. It flashes R after the 1200. I assume thats normal. Is it recieving or replying ? also is it normal to get the no 1090 es TX message when at low altitude ? I check my flights on flightaware and it shows its being recived by dozens of ground stations along the way,

Thanks
Scott

Both. It has to be interrogated before it replies.

The R means the transponder is replying to an interrogation.

also is it normal to get the no 1090 es TX message when at low altitude ?
No. I do a lot of low and slow flying and have never seen this message. Keep in mind that flightaware has their own receivers. Have you gotten a recent PAPR?
1090.png

I got a report when I did the install. All was good but that was about 18 months ago. Maybe another test is in order. I didn’t replace the coax cable with RG400. Garmin makes a big deal about that. I was skeptical but maybe it would help.

Thanks for the replies.

Back