Garmin GTN650 / GI275 / King KAP150 autopilot - trouble grabbing glideslope

Adventure

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Adventure
Hi POA team. I just finished day two of a 10-day intensive IFR training. I'm in my own plane, a turbo Arrow IV with a 650, two 275s, and a King 150 autopilot. It's going great with a terrific instructor and one of the best parts is learning how to use the avionics that's always been out of my understanding. We've run into something that has us both stumped.

Whether on an RNAV or ILS approach, and with the Approach mode selected on the autopilot, it will fly the approach laterally no problem. It even unlights Altitude and Lights up GS (for glideslope), however it won't follow the vertical guidance and descend along the glideslope - blows right through it. I knew I had seen it do it a few times before with another instructor but not consistently. So end of the day today we started experimenting. It turns out that if I press the virtual button that says CDI on the bottom center of the 275 touchscreen three times to cycle through the three modes and land back on the mode I was already on - it will grab the glideslope and the autopilot works perfectly. We had a chance to test it once on an RNAV approach and again with an ILS approach. Worked both times when both had failed earlier in the day.

Any ideas what might be causing this or perhaps something easy I'm missing or not understanding? Thank you!

Last edited:
Are you flying the final segment in nav or gpss mode on the 275? My STEC needs to be in Nav mode below and at least 10 seconds before intercept to capture GS, unsure about the KAP.

Are you flying the final segment in nav or gpss mode on the 275? My STEC needs to be in Nav mode below and at least 10 seconds before intercept to capture GS, unsure about the KAP.
On the King 150s (KFC150 or KAP150 should be the same in this regard), the autopilot must be in APR mode. And from what @Adventure wrote, I assume it is, since the GS annunciation is active. Per the King manual, the autopilot should then command a pitch attitude to follow the glideslope. I do not know why that didn't happen in this case.

- Martin

Back