Garmin GPSMAP 396 weather receiving problem

therealmjfox

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
therealmjfox
Hi,

My GPSMAP 396, which I've had basically since they first came out, has developed a problem with receiving weather. This has only occurred in the last several months, but now it's happening regularly.

Usually after flying for about an hour or so, it simply stops receiving any weather updates. When I go to the XM radio menu, it shows that I have 2-3 bars of signal, but the weather updates just stop. Various times I've tried rebooting the unit which seems to work very temporarily, like I get one or two updates but then they stop again.

This past week I tested it and kept it on after it stopped and it went over an hour and a half with no updates, until I gave up and turned it off. All this time, the XM screen shows signal, usually 2-3 bars. I do not have the music subscription.

Anyone else seen or heard of this? I mentioned it to a friend who also has an older one and he thought he remembered hearing about a possible recall or fix but since he wasn't having a problem he forgot about it. I probabaly did too.

The first question is going to be "are you running the latest version of the firmware?"
-harry

It WILL be an XM problem. XM will deny all and blame it on Garmin.

After calling for hours you might get a tech to reset their side for you, but don't count on it. I'd just cancel service, and if you really need XM renew it next spring.

You are about to go through the most frustrating tech support on the planet. I finally just gave up and cancelled, although I loved the service, when it worked.

Back