Garmin GPS Systems vs Foreflight / Sentry ADSB in

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
Any thoughts on the reliability differences between Garmin panel mounted GPS systems compared to using Foreflight ipad and a Sentry ADSB in? I know that to be legal, the panel mounted GPS system is required for IFR flight. If you are unable to connect Foreflight to your panel mounted GPS system, would Foreflight + Sentry give you enough data (incl CDI) to safely shoot an approach?

Any thoughts on the reliability differences between Garmin panel mounted GPS systems compared to using Foreflight ipad and a Sentry ADSB in? I know that to be legal, the panel mounted GPS system is required for IFR flight. If you are unable to connect Foreflight to your panel mounted GPS system, would Foreflight + Sentry give you enough data (incl CDI) to safety shoot an approach?
In short, no.

longer answer, in an emergency it’s better than not having it, but it would be a last resort when all else fails. A lot would have to go wrong before I’d use it in actual IMC.

Oh, and connecting foreflight to your panel mount doesn’t make it ok to use foreflight as a primary instrument for IFR. Only to aide situational awareness.

Oh, and connecting foreflight to your panel mount doesn’t make it ok to use foreflight as a primary instrument for IFR. Only to aide situational awareness.

How about en-route?

How about en-route?
Not as primary for IFR, no. If you are connected to an in panel gps then it isn’t primary, the in panel gps is.

Up on the plains, my daddy used to spin down through cloud deck when he got caught on top. Compared to that, ForeFlight/sentry looks pretty good.

ForeFlight & sentry enroute are superb tools.

Up on the plains, my daddy used to spin down through cloud deck when he got caught on top.

I've heard that's a very common occurrence for VFR pilots caught in IMC.

Portable GPS (any flavor) do not have the integrity checking, annunciation, or vertical guidance that an IFR-certified GPS has. It can't be used for primary IFR nav. Portable GPS would be for dire emergency use only while IFR. Best case emergency scenario would be using a portable GPS for an IFR descent into VFR conditions.

In the olde days before IFR GPS, we suggested direct vectors to ATC based on LORAN or portable GPS routings, and used the non-IFR devices to "monitor" routing. But technically this was only legal if in communjcation with ATC and in radar contact for vectors. If you could get that kind of clearance. Lost comm would be interesting in this scenario, however.

With IFR GPS, it is often possible to (legally) get direct routings even in parts of the northeast.

Back