Garmin GPS 175 software bug

Skyknight320

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skyknight320
I have a Garmin GPS 175 with software version 3.10 and there seems to be a bug with the software. As you can see in the attached photo the home screen has MOA airspace info overlayed on it. I contacted Garmin, but they just directed me to contact a dealer. It doesn't do this every time, but the steps to reproduce the problem are below.

1) From the map screen, select a MOA, for example HAWG NORTH MOA

2) Press Airspace Info (HAWG NORTH)

4) Press the Back icon to display the home screen. The home screen will be
displayed, but will still have the MOA info screen displayed over top of the
home screen.

PXL_20210806_152015087.jpg

Yes it does clear
Annoying, then, that Garmin wants you to make an extra effort to go through a dealer. It's an easy problem for you to work around personally, but it's something Garmin's dev team will want to fix (if only for cosmetic reasons), so throwing up extra barriers between you making the bug report and the dev team receiving it isn't a good business process.

They're much better with their uncertified stuff. I'm at only one remove from the Garmin Pilot dev team when I make a bug report or feature request to Russ (their QA guy), and sometimes he'll put me in direct touch with the developers to discuss an Android issue.

You need a fast user-feedback loop like that for software development, especially if it's Agile. But I'm guessing the managers on the certified-avionics side probably come from the appliance world (call your local dealer to fix your fridge) rather than the software world.

I thought it was strange they would tell me to contact a dealer when it is obviously a software issue with the navigator. The dealer cannot fix that, Garmin needs to fix it. I did my part I notified them of the issue.

Annoying, then, that Garmin wants you to make an extra effort to go through a dealer. It's an easy problem for you to work around personally, but it's something Garmin's dev team will want to fix (if only for cosmetic reasons), so throwing up extra barriers between you making the bug report and the dev team receiving it isn't a good business process.

They're much better with their uncertified stuff. I'm at only one remove from the Garmin Pilot dev team when I make a bug report or feature request to Russ (their QA guy), and sometimes he'll put me in direct touch with the developers to discuss an Android issue.

You need a fast user-feedback loop like that for software development, especially if it's Agile. But I'm guessing the managers on the certified-avionics side probably come from the appliance world (call your local dealer to fix your fridge) rather than the software world.

Since you brought up Garmin Pilot on Android, I have issues with that too. The current version 7.8.2 does not receive ADS-B In from the GPS 175 which gets ADS-B from a GTX345. At least weather does not work, but traffic does. GP Version 7.7.5 worked, but 7.7.3 also did not get weather like the current version. Maybe the next version will fix the issue.

Since you brought up Garmin Pilot on Android, I have issues with that too. The current version 7.8.2 does not receive ADS-B In from the GPS 175 which gets ADS-B from a GTX345. At least weather does not work, but traffic does. GP Version 7.7.5 worked, but 7.7.3 also did not get weather like the current version. Maybe the next version will fix the issue.
I can't comment on that. I'm out of range of U.S. FIS-B services up here in Ottawa below ~6,000 ft, so I show XM weather from a GDL 51 and take only traffic (and GPS position and AHRS) from my GTX 345 via my GTN 650.

I'll test FIS-B in Garmin Pilot the next time I'm flying high enough and/or close enough to the US border.

Garmin cannot reproduce the issue I am having. Can someone with a GPS 175 try these steps to confirm this issue? The steps are a little different than I originally gave, you must press preview before back. The issue exists on any airspace, C, B, MOA etc...

1) From the map screen, zoom and pan to KLEX and touch the class C ring.

2) Press Airspace Info (Lexington Blue Grass)

3) Press Preview

4) Press the Back icon. The home screen will be displayed, but will still have the airspace info screen displayed over top of the home screen.

Last edited:
Garmin cannot reproduce the issue I am having. Can someone with a GPS 175 try these steps to confirm this issue? The steps are a little different than I originally gave, you must press preview before back. The issue exists on any airspace, C, B, MOA etc...

1) From the map screen, zoom and pan to KLEX and touch the class C ring.

2) Press Airspace Info (Lexington Blue Grass)

3) Press Preview

4) Press the Back icon. The home screen will be displayed, but will still have the airspace info screen displayed over top of the home screen.
Can you reproduce it in the Garmin 175 trainer? It uses the same system software (but not, obviously, the same display hardware).

I only have Linux, but maybe I can run this in a VM.
:) The screenshot is from Windows 10 running in VirtualBox on my Linux laptop. You will need a reasonably-spec'd laptop or computer (it was a little sluggish when I used to run it in VirtualBox on my old 2010 HP laptop, but it runs great on my new-ish Acer Nitro 5).

You can download Win10 from Microsoft for free these days to use in VMs — you have to pay to activate it, but it keeps working when it's not activated, with just a few features unavailable like personalization (and even those you can mostly do directly in the registry if you Google around a bit).

It didn't work at first through VirtualBox, but then enabling 3D acceleration on the VM got it working. The trainer does not have the issue my GPS 175 does so maybe it is a hardware issue with my unit. Maybe I could try to reinstall the software on the GPS 175 or wait for a new version.

It didn't work at first through VirtualBox, but then enabling 3D acceleration on the VM got it working. The trainer does not have the issue my GPS 175 does so maybe it is a hardware issue with my unit. Maybe I could try to reinstall the software on the GPS 175 or wait for a new version.
I suspect it's a hardware issue, or Garmin would have heard about it before. I hope the software update fixes it regardless.

Good luck,

David

I think the trainer only runs on Apple.
I just tried it in the iPad...didn’t get the same result, didn’t get what was supposed to happen, got something else that definitely NOT supposed to happen.

Identical file, but if you need it signed off don't install. Head over to you friendly Garman Dealer!

Back