Garmin GNS 430W install along with GTR 200B

Stoic Mark

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AirCav
I have had a GNS 430W in my plane but recently redid the panel and decided to a dd a GTR 200B radio. I will have no other intercom or radio management unit as the 200B is supposed to also be capable of that. i plan to have to separate PTT buttons on the controls and a common headset.
Does anyone have a good interconnect diagram or exact wiring diagrams for the units in this configuration? Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!!
SM

You can download the 200B install manual online. Normally, when you have more than one com, you install an audio panel or at least an audio switch panel with a muting relay. You also have separate com antennas.The info you request is shown in the GTR200B install manual .

I have the install manual and have been reading it. It is a bit vague on the issue. It would be much easier with an audio panel or intercomm but the 200 is sold as doing the job of both. I have two comm antennas, two PTT switches and understand the Transmit interlock use. I have connected those pins from the 430 and the 200 based on the wiring diagrams and notes in the install manual. What is not clear to me is the splicing of the headset Mic and Audio.

The GTR200 intercom is only useable if you have it installed as the only com radio. You’re going to need an audio panel to make things work.

Last edited:
If you want to transmit or receive on the 430W, you're going to need an audio panel. The GTR 200 is never going to connect your mic/audio lines to the GNS's radio (COM or NAV).

You can't splice your headset lines to solve this, you need an audio panel.

The 430 and the 200 can both stand alone without an audio panel. With two separate PTT switches, I should not need an audio box that chooses my mic.

My FIL had two GTR-200b radios installed in his RV, and found he could not use the intercom or Bluetooth due to internal settings in the radios themselves. They can act as intercom, but not if you also have an audio panel intercom. Maybe a similar issue? If so, we were told that that there's no fix other than a different audio panel or radio.

The 430 and the 200 can both stand alone without an audio panel. With two separate PTT switches, I should not need an audio box that chooses my mic.
Indeed they can both “stand alone” but they both will be coupled at the headset Jack and would no longer be standing alone in your proposed system. Mic jacks are a pain in the butt to work around and solder, I’d hate to double the amount of wires going to them…

I have an old KMA24 that your welcome to have for free, come pick it up or pay postage. Though I’ll also say that a modern audio panel is one of the greatest conveniences in aviation. The modern automatic squelch features are just amazing and well worth the few hundred dollars you can find one used for. I’d never, ever, go back to a kma 24 or even a gma240, let alone 2 radios wired in parallel direct to a single headset. What would happen in that scenario if you had both radios tuned to the same frequency and you transmit on one while listening to both?

Sure, but you’ll need a separate intercom for that to work. You can’t use the one built into the GTR at that point, which you appear to desire.

I will attempt to install a Dynon Intercom unit and connect both radios to it.

Thanks, Dave. I know Stoic Mark can use Dynon's intercom to hear two radios (they have an unswitched input that can be used) but I don't know how multiple Coms are selected. I'm pretty sure there will be some switching means required. Finally, I think there will be switching means so the pilot won't hear both radios all of the time. Many Dynon owners have selected our various audio panels and I have yet to hear from an unhappy customer. If that day comes, rest assured we will do what it takes to make it right. While trying not to be boastful, I'd like to say we get calls from pilots who give our panels accolades. They become honorary members of our fan club.

Back