Garmin GNS 430/530 crossfeed

• Thread starter Giuliano Rescaldani
  • Start date
G

Giuliano Rescaldani

I am looking a method to upload user waypoins to a GNS 430 deirectly from a PC or, as alternate method, through a Gpsmap 296.

I see an official upload is not documented, while the Crossfeed functios is used to transfer waypoints between two similar units. I wonder if someone cracked the protocol, so I can write my own 430 simulator and use it to "crossfeed" my waypoints to the real one.

An alternate may be to upload waypoints to an handheld 296 and the crossfeed between it and the 430. It looks someone did the trick, but I cannot find any good refernce on the connection and settings.

Any idea?

I've pondered the same thing. I was told that it just isn't supported for fear of corrupting the data on the flash cards.

If there is a way around it, would be nice.

Not supported is the correct definition... but that doesn't means not feasible. Should someone look in the crossfeed protocol, it is not impossible to write a PC program to feed data in the 430. Unfortunately I have not two units available on a desk to crack the protocol.

Since most 430 users that fly VFR need hundeds of RP's, I suppose someone before studied this protocol and has a solution. The problem is to find him!

For VFR flying in Europe, we don't have just Airports, VORs, NDBs, etc. but also several "VFR reporting points" (RPs) that often are mandatory to cross a CTR. We also have dozens of Airstrips that are not Airports (no ICAO name).
So, for instance, just in Italy we have more than 700 Waypoints that must be inserted in a GPS in order to use it for VFR.

This is easily feasible with an handheld, a PC databa made in sevaral ways and one of the many programs to upload waypoints. Whle many of us have a panel mount Garmin on IFR certified planes, it would be useful to be able to use those beautiful devices (turned on because thay are also the COM/NAV!) as a GPS! Unfortunately, it is hard and dangerous to insert so many waypoints manually (with > 700 some errors are unaivoidable). Worst agaian, some users can accidentally delete all of them.

While the unist does support this so called "crossfeed" that is used to send waypoints between units, it would be nice to use that protocol to upload the GPS through a PC and the serial port.

Thats what I thought you meant. We've got visual reporting points as intersections already in the GPS database here.

Back