Garmin GI275 Install and Test Flight in a Mooney 305 Rocket

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
Brought my GoPro out to record the first flight in our 305 Rocket with a brand spankin' new pair of Garmin GI-275's. Videos of these things in the wild seem to be pretty tough to come by and I know a lot of folks are interested in these, so I thought I'd make one and share.

The reason we went with the 275's vs the G5's was primarily because the 275 is certified to replace the airspeed indicator, turn coordinator (with the OAT probe install), altimeter and VSI. Most importantly, the 275 can send attitude information to legacy AP's like our Century 31.

Pretty impressed with these things...the screen is incredible! Perhaps the GFC500 AP is on the list at some point, but to be honest this thing works great with the stock Century 31. The 275's have a GPSS HDG emulation mode that works really well. I was able to fly coupled ILS and LPV approaches without a hitch. As a newly minted IFR pilot dumping the vacuum system and moving to glass sure gives me piece of mind. Well worth the upgrade.

Price for both units and install was ~$15k.

I recorded in 2.7k HD. I'm no editing pro - so apologies in advance.
1f642.png

Cool. But what's with that metal plate around the GI275's? I thought the point of the GI275 was to preserve the look of the panel? The metal plate seems counterproductive towards that goal.

Yeah I wondered the same thing. Forgot to ask why they did that. Doesn't bother me though...

great video and thanks for posting it. i think the installer could have put the plate behind the panel as well. donno

great video and thanks for posting it. i think the installer could have put the plate behind the panel as well. donno

Yeah, they didn't ask. TBH, I thought they would just be like the airspeed indicator and altimeter in the panel...but figured something was up if they had to that. I'll ask them for sure. If they can just take it off and it looks normal, I'd be fine with that too.

Cool. But what's with that metal plate around the GI275's? I thought the point of the GI275 was to preserve the look of the panel? The metal plate seems counterproductive towards that goal.

Look at the OP's other videos. The old instruments were square not round. It's a patch to cover the holes and make the GI275 fit.

This is what I needed to see. They're perfect. Great video, thanks.

Back