Garmin GDL39 on Android

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I have searched the forums trying to find some solid answers but haven't really found much.

Does anyone here use an Android with the Garmin GDL-39? If so, does it overlay ads-b traffic like the Garmin Pilot App does on Android? I totally understand the limitations of ads-b traffic data currently but am wanting to know what everyone thinks ?

I have a Note3 I use mostly but also have a Note 10.1 2014 edition that I use as well. It seems GPS and cell signal for weather data is spotty so that is my main drive towards the GDL39. I am an Android guy so please no ForeFlight suggestions :)

I believe the GDL39 is proprietary Garmin and will only work with Garmin products such as the Garmin pilot app on android or their standalone GPS units such as 496 (TIS only) 695, 696, 795, 796, aera, etc. Compatible devices is listed here:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-...tions/gdl-39-gdl-39r-gdl-39-3d/prod93601.html

Some have tried to get it working on the android app Avare, but last I looked it was not compatible.

Best to decide what app you wish to run and then use the ads-b receiver known to be compatible with that app. I use Anywhere map currently on an Asus TF700 tablet backed up with a note 3 and AWM has just announced ads-b support expected to be added next month.

Thanks for the reply.. I have tried many of the apps and seem to like the Garmin Pilot app the best.. Foreflight was nice when I had an iPad but perfer android products.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have seen youtube videos of the GDL39 on tablets. I too am curious about its worth in the cockpit.

I have seen youtube videos of the GDL39 on tablets. I too am curious about its worth in the cockpit.
We have a GDL39 I installed in our RV-9A. It is connected to an Aera 560. I remote mounted the GDL39 behind the panel, and bought a cable to remote mount its antenna. I decided to try using the antenna that came with the GDL39 rather than buy one. I temporarily mounted the antenna to the engine mount down low just above the lower cowling. We have mixed results on reception, sometimes getting reception within 1000-2000 AGL while other times not receiving it at 12000. It may be my antenna.

When it works I find it helpful. I don't have a bunch of time flying with it but my initial impression is that:
no WX < ads-b WX < XM WX
in terms of worth in the cockpit.

I have searched the forums trying to find some solid answers but haven't really found much.

Does anyone here use an Android with the Garmin GDL-39? If so, does it overlay ads-b traffic like the Garmin Pilot App does on Android? I totally understand the limitations of ads-b traffic data currently but am wanting to know what everyone thinks ?

I have a Note3 I use mostly but also have a Note 10.1 2014 edition that I use as well. It seems GPS and cell signal for weather data is spotty so that is my main drive towards the GDL39. I am an Android guy so please no ForeFlight suggestions :)

Paging Jay Honeck.... He's been flying that combination for quite a while and loves it.

I demo'd a GDL 39 and Garmin Pilot on my old Xoom tablet last year for a trip from KS to DE, NYC and back and was quite happy with the performance. As far as I understand it, you have to have the GP app to view any data from the GDL 39 on an Android platform, so I'm not sure I understand the question.

I've been using the GDL-39/Garmin Pilot combo in my planes since 2012, when it was introduced. It has gone from a buggy, temperamental piece of kit, to a rock-solid, perfect platform for moving map sectional, ADS-B traffic & weather, fuel prices, etc.

You might want to start with this thread: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55973&highlight=tips+tricks

You'll find lots of good info there! :)

Awesome guys.. Thanks for the replies! When I get back from vacation in a few weeks I think I'm going to just order the gdl39.. Now I'm wondering 3d or not 3d.. lol

FYI, one of the guys in my EAA chapter has a GDL-39 3D that he uses with Garmin Pilot. He says that if you get significantly out of coordination the gyros will get confused and tumble in the SynVis or panel modes. It must only have accelerometers for two axes instead of all three.

I use Pilot on my iPad, and plan to get a GDL-39 3D...I just wanted folks to know about this apparent hardware limitation.

I didn't realize how large is actually was.. The pics make it look smaller..

Awesome guys.. Thanks for the replies! When I get back from vacation in a few weeks I think I'm going to just order the gdl39.. Now I'm wondering 3d or not 3d.. lol

I'd definitely do the 3D.

I love my GDL-39 3D and have been playing with it for almost two month. If you have a tail dragger or if your aircraft is not perfectly level on the ground, the AHRS will get confused and show incorrect attitude info. However, it takes two taps in the Garmin Pilot app and it will reset the AHRS. As for traffic, I fly around the New York metro area and I get to piggy back off of the constant airliners that broadcast ADS-B out. Once in the air I get a pretty good traffic pic. The synthetic vision though it's cool (and the best IMHO amongst all the apps), I don't find myself using it very often. In terms of weather, the Radar overlay via cell phone signal will have more clarity than the Radar overlay via the GDL-39. I definitely recommend the optional battery pack as it will provide you with around 4 hours of battery life (mine seems to last longer). Also if you haven't signed up for Garmin Pilot yet, the GDL-39 comes with 6 month free.

Last edited:
e5ujagah.jpg

Just arrived back from the Dominican Republic last night and my new GDL39 3D arrived today.. Awesome weekend!! Can't wait to try it out!! Thanks for the tips guys..

Back