Garmin GDL-82 --- use existing GPS antenna?

deyoung

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I'm leaning toward the GDL-82 as the ADSB deadline approaches (though still open to other suggestions). I also have two old, VFR-only GPS units, either or both of which can go away. Both currently have outside antennas installed.

I'm wondering if I can save some work on the install by pulling one of the old GPS units and re-using its existing antenna for the GDL-82?

This is on a Cherokee-235. The old GPSs are a KMD-150 and an Apollo II.

Thanks!

Thinking of the GDL82 myself but am a bit worried it won’t play nice with my King KT78A transponder. I am now crossing my fingers for this solution:
https://www.uavionix.com/news/skybeacon-certification-update/

Be sure to scroll down to the bottom to see a picture of a version of the device mounted on an aft position light. That solution looks AWESOME for my Grumman!

I'm leaning toward the GDL-82 as the ADSB deadline approaches (though still open to other suggestions). I also have two old, VFR-only GPS units, either or both of which can go away. Both currently have outside antennas installed.

I'm wondering if I can save some work on the install by pulling one of the old GPS units and re-using its existing antenna for the GDL-82?

This is on a Cherokee-235. The old GPSs are a KMD-150 and an Apollo II.

Unlikely, the GDL-82 will need WAAS capable antennas, which basically means lower loss coax and a better antenna. If you have the existing antenna information you can check it in the GDL 82 installation guide on page 14, here: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01810-10_01.pdf

Has anyone heard anything about the price of the Uavionix options?

Last I heard it was meant to undercut GDL-82 pricing, so below 2AMU is what I'm expecting. the experimental is 1.5 amus, so it sounds about right.

ETA: Even if it isn't, you're so far ahead on labor cost it still comes out cheaper.

The GDL-82 install manual lists the acceptable GPS antennas. Perhaps one of yours is in the list

Page 28

The antenna is not the problem. What I’m worried about is the tube in the KT78A, some have claimed that the GDL82 may not work as well with older, non-digital transponders. Not enough of them installed yet to be sure.

Regardless, the Avionix solution seems much cleaner and simpler with little or no installation expense.

Last edited:
Yeah. My A&P is lobbying for the Stratus ESG instead of the GDL-82. I can't decide if i want to spend the extra or not. (Well---I don't want to. But maybe it's worth it.)

My transponder still works just fine, though I suppose that could change any time. I do live close to Mexico, and while I have no desire to fly there these days, I suppose that could always change. Hmmm....

Back