Garmin GDL 52 worth it

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
New student pilot here,
was wondering if a Garmin GDL 52 would be a good investment as the ADS-B versions informs you of traffic around you.
I understand that by 2020 all aircraft that are operating in a transponder mode C zone have to have ADS-B out.
Which I would then think, that a GDL 52 would be a cheap and portable option (when renting planes) to get ADS-B in capabilities.

Am I correct in my thinking that especially as a new/ student pilot having a ADS-B in traffic warning is important as your eye to scan for traffic is not as good as the eye of a veteran pilot.

P.S.: I did some reading on IFR requirements and AFAIK even an IFR certified plane does not need to have ADS-B in/ traffic warning, right?

I don’t know the Garmin product, but if you’re flying in multiple aircraft and want some form of ADS-B IN device that’s portable and something you can take with you, there’s a number of options. Including a project where you can build your own called Stratux.

Remember that unless the aircraft is transmitting ADS-B OUT, there’s a built in limitation of the system where you may not see all surrounding traffic. FAA didn’t have to build it this unsafe and stupid way, but they did. Look up “ADS-B Hockey Puck” for detailed info on it.

Definitely shop around. The Garmin product is probably good, but likely to be the most expensive option. That’s just normal for Garmin.

Spending the money on more training will pay bigger dividends to any pilot, honestly. Just being real for a second, there. Toys are great, but a couple more hours aloft will serve you better in the long haul.

Most of us have some toys though. It’s common. We pilots like our gadgets. ;)

Spending the money on more training will pay bigger dividends to any pilot, honestly. Just being real for a second, there. Toys are great, but a couple more hours aloft will serve you better in the long haul.

Best answer on post #2! That's a record here.

Buy your gadgets to celebrate passing your check ride! Then leave them in your flight bag with your certificate.

Including a project where you can build your own called Stratux.
Correct me if I am wrong but stratux only works with fore flight. Hence I need an android solution, and so far through my triathlon and running Garmin products have always been great. Hence I need something that works with Garmin Pilot.

Remember that unless the aircraft is transmitting ADS-B OUT, there’s a built in limitation of the system where you may not see all surrounding traffic.
Isn't ADS-B OUT mandatory for all aircraft by 2020 that operate in transponder mode C airspace?

Definitely shop around. The Garmin product is probably good, but likely to be the most expensive option.
Where would I find information what can be paired to an android tablet running Garmin Pilot? I looked at Garmin, Sporty's, AOPA, Ipadflightnews (something like that). Chatted with a guy selling a stratux, anyt other sources I missed?

Spending the money on more training will pay bigger dividends to any pilot, honestly. Just being real for a second, there.
Honestly money is not the limiting factor for training, it is weather and time that is currently limiting any training efforts.

Correct me if I am wrong but stratux only works with fore flight. Hence I need an android solution, and so far through my triathlon and running Garmin products have always been great. Hence I need something that works with Garmin Pilot.

Isn't ADS-B OUT mandatory for all aircraft by 2020 that operate in transponder mode C airspace?

Where would I find information what can be paired to an android tablet running Garmin Pilot? I looked at Garmin, Sporty's, AOPA, Ipadflightnews (something like that). Chatted with a guy selling a stratux, anyt other sources I missed?

Honestly money is not the limiting factor for training, it is weather and time that is currently limiting any training efforts.

Stratux works with a number of software packages. If you need Garmin though, you’re pretty much stuck with Garmin. That’s how they do business. They’re kinda like Apple.

Yes.

Numerous threads here talking about various options.

Understand.

about Stratux... I have built one, it has failed me 3 times now, when I needed it the most. 2 due to software bug, 1 due to AHRS chip not playing well on the motherboard. now it sits in my garage and a GDL 39 3D is on its way. OP - if you want to use Pilot (I have decided to move to Pilot)m your only choice is something that Garmin makes.

OK, thanks for confirming.
You bought a new GDL 39 3D, why this over the GDL 52?

There is Stratus and Stratux. The latter is open source platform that runs on Raspberry Pi and works with a number of software packages, the former is pretty much tied to Foreflight.

OK, thanks for confirming.
You bought a new GDL 39 3D, why this over the GDL 52?
52 is more $$ and gives you the capability of getting XM weather and music, I am content with free ADSB weather. you are not going to use any of these to skirt with storm cells, so the free one works pretty good and no monthly sub. feature wise apart from XM, they both give you exact same thing

Bottom line is that even with all the gadgets, there are still some planes that will not show up on your screen. Better to learn to look outside.

Bottom line is that even with all the gadgets, there are still some planes that will not show up on your screen. Better to learn to look outside.
I am a firm believer that the best affordable material and technology should be used in addition to obtaining the best affordable training.

I am a firm believer that the best affordable material and technology should be used AFTER obtaining the best affordable training.

FTFY

Until you're trained your assessment of technology is, at best, uninformed.

What he said. Additionally, u won’t have a lot of time to focus on. iPad during ur training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back