Garmin GDL-39

ColoPilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
ColoPilot
After digging through the couch cushions, donating plasma, and stealing lunch money from high school kids on their way to school, I can afford to add a GDL-39 to my Garmin Pilot setup, but I'm not sure which version. It looks like the more expensive version adds attitude information, but I don't know if there are any other features I lose by buying the cheaper version. I only fly VFR so I don't think the attitude is worth it for $200 more dollars.

I've seen some used on Ebay and I assume they're the cheaper version, but before I buy I need to decide which version. Any thoughts? Are there any accessories I should get?

Nope, no other changes besides attitude. Unlike the Stratus, both versions of the GDL-39 are dual frequency. Make sure you get the battery or have a good lighter connection in every plane.

After digging through the couch cushions, donating plasma, and stealing lunch money from high school kids on their way to school, I can afford to add a GDL-39 ...

Mein gott in himmel!!!!

Can I borrow your couch?????

:eek:

I have the GDL39 3D because I did want an intuitive display of the synthetic vision. It that's not something you're interested in the standard GDL39 should serve you well. If that's the case I'd bet you could find a guy that's looking to upgrade from standard to the 3D and get a better deal than shopping for new.

I have the GDL39 3D because I did want an intuitive display of the synthetic vision. It that's not something you're interested in the standard GDL39 should serve you well. If that's the case I'd bet you could find a guy that's looking to upgrade from standard to the 3D and get a better deal than shopping for new.

I bought a 3D off this board a couple weeks ago.

I too bought one a couple months ago used here and saved some money, though I still had to buy the power cable to connect it up with my Aera 510. Also the $$ I was going to save by cancelling the XM Weather was reduced when I learned I could convert to XM Radio and access/control it through the GPS too.

AHRS is worth every bit of $200.

I bought a 3D off this board a couple weeks ago.

So I take it that you finally got to play with the new toy? :) ...and I agree the AHRS is a great backup.

Also like to add that Garmin's ADS-B traffic picks up more targets than the Stratus 2. I flew right seat with my GDL39-3D with a buddy who was using a Stratus 2; mine had two additional targets that didn't show up on his Fore Flight (he didn't have "hide distant traffic" toggled either).

Last edited:
I use the 3D version as well. It would take several simultaneous systems failures to ever actually need it, but I like having a backup AHRS. The ADS-B / FIS-B is highly useful on every flight, though.

Does the Android version of GP have synthetic vision capability yet?

Nauga,
and his -39R

Nauga,
and his -39R

Negative.

I have an old GDL-39 I'd like to trade for a 3D. Also have a Zaon PCAS I'll let go.

$500 each. Cuz I'm a nice guy and cattle are up. :)

I've had both. If you're looking for a good GPS input with ADS-B weather info and some traffic then the GDL-39 is fine. If you want to get the best use out of the synthetic vision feature and think you might be looking at IFR training anytime in the future, it would be cheaper to pick up the GDL-39/3D now rather than upgrade later. If you're VFR for life, just go with the regular GDL-39 and save the money.

Yes...they had the attitude indicator function via the Garmin Pilot software after Sun-n-Fun 2014. I had a Nexus 7 back then and it worked OK on my Nexus 7.

The extra traffic is nice, as the GDL receives on both frequencies,

Consider the battery in case of power loss, especially if the GDL unit is your only source for GPS data in the plane.

I've got a 39 3D that i'd probably sell with the right offer - PM me if interested - I know its in my hangar somewhere.

Nauga,
and his -39R

I asked GP support about this, and they said it exists in some beta or testing form, so I presume it will be released in the future. Right now, Android GP does have a basic "six pack" type of AHRS display, but not synthetic vision.

An update a couple weeks ago to GP Android added terrain alerts and X-Plane sim support, so it's getting better on the Android side.

I bought the 39 3D and love it. I use it primarily with the Garmin 796, but have used it with the Garmin Pilot app also. I am consistently impressed with the traffic it sees around Denver and Colorado Springs. I of course am constantly looking for traffic and almost always use flight following. I find myself frequently seeing called out traffic on ADSB prior to visually getting it. I also had XM weather previously. The subscription free weather on ADSB is outstanding. I like the additional AHRS for backup as well. I don't use it frequently, but it is a nice backup capability. The 796 does have a synviz mode, but I rarely fly with it on. I am looking forward to installing ADSB out to take full advantage of the traffic in picture.

Carl

Back