Garmin GDL-39 and Foreflight?

nauga

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Technical Administrator
Display Name

Display name:
Mantis Toboggan, MD
I saw today on Foreflight's website that FF can receive and display ADS-B data from a GDL-39. Has anyone here done this and did you have any issues getting it to work? 39, 39-3D, or 39R? I'd like to hear before I update firmware on my 39R and expose myself to all the problems that usually follow an 'update'. Currently using Garmin Pilot but would like to try FF.

Nauga,
the omega tester

I have done it with a GDL39 & ForeFlight. I had my GDL39 connected to an Aera 500 with the cable that Garmin sells. I noticed that the regional NEXRAD didn’t come heoufh consistently when the Aera 500 was on. Otherwise it worked fine. One nice thing is that it is Bluetooth, so I could connect WiFi to the IFD540 and Bluetooth to the GDL39 at the same time. Now, though, the Avidyne sends its ads-b data through to ForeFlight with the new software, so I don’t use the GDL39 any more.

Well this is a fine mess I've gotten myself into. My GDL-39R most likely has ancient firmware, documentation says it can be updated through Garmin Pilot. The iPad with a compatible version of Garmin Pilot is long gone. With a fresh install of GP on a new iPad, GP tells me the 39R needs a firmware update to work with GP, then GP crashes when I try to update. Garmin Portable support wasn't sure GP could update firmware on a 39R, which sure as **** isn't in the documentation. Their suggestion was to contact Garmin Experimental support, who are only available weekdays.

Nauga,
eyeballs out

Back