Garmin GAD 43 with legacy autopiolots.

drotto

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
drotto
Just to clarify exactly what the GAD 43 is doing with older autopilots that used to require the vacuum driven AI for operation. This unit basicallly allows to AHARS to have the same function that the traditional AI used to perform, correct? Others than feeding converted digital to analog information from the AHARS, does the unit affect how the basic autopilot works?

I was also seeing that there is a 43e variant that mentions things like altitude preselect and a few other added features. Does this unit add functionality to older autopilots, or is just needed when some oif those autopilot alreadyh had those functionsx

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just to clarify exactly what the GAD 43 is doing with older autopilots that used to require the vacuum driven AI for operation. This unit basicallly allows to AHARS to have the same function that the traditional AI used to perform, correct? Others than feeding converted digital to analog information from the AHARS, does the unit affect how the basic autopilot works?

I was also seeing that there is a 43e variant that mentions things like altitude preselect and a few other added features. Does this unit add functionality to older autopilots, or is just needed when some oif those autopilot alreadyh had those functions

I believe you can get new functionality. For example, I'd be able to ditch the old altitude preselect box in favor of G500/TXi altitude bug and gain GPSS. The autopilot itself doesn't change, but the GAD43e can "fake it out" a bit.

Back