Garmin G5000

Nostalgair

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Nostalgair
Hi All,

I was fortunate enough to fly the new Cessna Citation 680 Sovereign the other day. It is equipped with the impressive Garmin G5000. I thought I'd share a photo.

Cheers

Owen

bfbdf45d-92aa-4627-910f-4240e0a41367.jpg

Cool. Looks different than the "old" Sovereign.

Is the G-5000 an option or standard now? If an option, how many $$$ option is it?

Is the G-5000 an option or standard now? If an option, how many $$$ option is it?
It's standard. There was a block change. The new airplane is called the Sovereign+.

Is that a good Trans Atlantic platform? SP capable? Can it do the Pacific? 2150nm +reserve?
Not SP (if you mean single pilot) capable. Never investigated the Trans-Atlantic route. We did the Pacific once but we went Denver-Anchorage-Petropavlovsk-Tokyo. So, it will cross the Pacific but is not the best airplane for it. I'm not sure where you are getting the 2150 nm from. The Sovereign+ is supposed to have a little more range.

I'm going to the Citation operators conference on Monday. I'm excited to see all the happenings.

Thanks iNdigo for the answers in my absence.

Yes the G5000 is standard on this model.

Cheers.

Is there any instrument on that panel that will operate after a total electrical failure?

Not SP (if you mean single pilot) capable. Never investigated the Trans-Atlantic route. We did the Pacific once but we went Denver-Anchorage-Petropavlovsk-Tokyo. So, it will cross the Pacific but is not the best airplane for it. I'm not sure where you are getting the 2150 nm from. The Sovereign+ is supposed to have a little more range.

Longest leg around the world is 2150nm LA-Hawaii. If you can make that, you can cross the pacific on the fun & sun surf run.

Is there any instrument on that panel that will operate after a total electrical failure?

The small instrument above the middle screen operates on its own standby battery. I'm not sure where they put the standby engine instruments. As I mentioned before, this panel is different than what is in the older 680s.

Last edited:
The G-1000's I flew had a back up battery that would power the system in revisionary mode for about 30 minutes...

Sure, actually most of it if your total electrical failure is double generator and ship's battery failure. I'm sure the whole panel has a back up battery and there is also going to be a stand alone back up instrument also with back up battery power. Considering that the prior panel was also electrically driven, the new panel would likely provide information for longer when given no more generating capability.

Only thing I don't like about it is the touch screen. Sometimes when I'm using my iPad, just sitting on the sofa, I accidentally touch the wrong letter. Now, in the air in turbulence, I'd prefer a real button to push.

Only thing I don't like about it is the touch screen. Sometimes when I'm using my iPad, just sitting on the sofa, I accidentally touch the wrong letter. Now, in the air in turbulence, I'd prefer a real button to push.

Yeah...but how often will a Citation have a problem with turbulence? In my opinion the advantages outweigh the rare disadvantages.

Hi All,

I was fortunate enough to fly the new Cessna Citation 680 Sovereign the other day. It is equipped with the impressive Garmin G5000. I thought I'd share a photo.

Cheers

Owen

bfbdf45d-92aa-4627-910f-4240e0a41367.jpg

Nice!

Having flown with a G1000 & GTN650, will the G5000 take a lot of time getting used to?

Hi again,

It was my first look at the G5000. Obviously there are many layers of capability and I only skimmed the surface, however, it seemed very logical and intuitive. The same principle of operation applied to various data entry functions, from adjusting radio volume to selecting the Flight Director display.

With reference to the power supply, this aircraft varies from its predecessors. Previously the alternators only supplied power for windshield heating. Now the aircraft is fitted with 'Transformer Rectifiers' or 'TRs'. As a consequence, in the event of an unlikely dual generator failure, the TRs kick in and transfer the alternator AC power from the windshields, into DC and onto the DC bus. Thus providing a real 'back up' system.

Cheers

Owen

If the G5000 is like the 650 and 750's you do not have to touch these screens to make entries and changes...it can all be done with knobs...

Maybe the OP will chime in on this...

Yeah...but how often will a Citation have a problem with turbulence? In my opinion the advantages outweigh the rare disadvantages.
The Sovereign does not ride particularly well in turbulence. I noticed that immediately.

Hi again,

It was my first look at the G5000. Obviously there are many layers of capability and I only skimmed the surface, however, it seemed very logical and intuitive. The same principle of operation applied to various data entry functions, from adjusting radio volume to selecting the Flight Director display.

With reference to the power supply, this aircraft varies from its predecessors. Previously the alternators only supplied power for windshield heating. Now the aircraft is fitted with 'Transformer Rectifiers' or 'TRs'. As a consequence, in the event of an unlikely dual generator failure, the TRs kick in and transfer the alternator AC power from the windshields, into DC and onto the DC bus. Thus providing a real 'back up' system.

Cheers

Owen

That sounds good.

I guess it wouldn't bounce around as much as a C172, so I now have to agree with your last sentence.

I actually had a calm, crystal clear day for my flight. :)

Cheers,

Owen

Copyof2014CitationSovereign021.jpg

Hi Ben,

The new Cessna Citation Sovereign 'Plus'.

Cheers

Owen

It wouldn't matter to me. Former naval aviators carry a duck and cat with them for just this kind of emergency.

Cat and Duck Instrument Flying

Lawrence of Meridian (1968)

Basic Instruments:
Place a live cat on the cockpit floor. Because a cat always remains upright, it can be used instead of the artificial horizon. Simply watch which way the cat leans to determine if a wing is low, and if so, which one.
The duck is used for the instrument approach. Because any sensible duck will refuse to fly under instrument conditions, it is only necessary to hurl your duck out of the aircraft and follow it to the ground.

Limitation to Cat and Duck Method
Get a wide-awake cat. Most cats don't want to stand up at all. It may be necessary to carry a large dog in the cockpit to make the cat pay attention.
Make sure your cat is clean. Dirty cats spend all their time washing. Trying to follow a washing cat usually results in a snap roll followed by an inverted spin.
Use an old cat. Young cats still have many of their nine lives left, but an old cat has just as much to lose as you do and will be more dependable.
Avoid cowardly ducks. If the duck discovers you are using the cat to keep the wings level, it may refuse to leave without the cat. Ducks are no better at IMC than you are.
Make sure your duck has good eyesight. Nearsighted ducks may fail to realize they are on the gauges and go flailing off into the nearest mountain. Very nearsighted ducks may not realize they have been thrown from the aircraft and will descend to the ground in a sitting position. This is very difficult to follow in an airplane.
Use land-loving ducks. It is very discouraging to break out and find yourself on final to a rice paddy, especially if there are duck hunters around. Duck hunters suffer from temporary insanity after sitting in freezing blinds and will shoot at anything that flies.
Finally, choose your duck carefully. It's easy to confuse ducks with geese because many waterfowl look alike. Geese are competent instrument fliers, but they seldom go where you want them to. If your duck sets off for Canada or New Zealand, you can sure you've been given the goose.

Back