Garmin G5000

Hmmm... I wonder how the jet jocks will like entering airways in waypoint by waypoint....
All the G1000 3000 and the Perspective you do not need to use waypoints just use the airway name or number. I would think the G5000 would do the same.

Hmmm... I wonder how the jet jocks will like entering airways in waypoint by waypoint....

Airways have been on the G1000 for some time now.

I already plugged in a potential route to the FlyBQ in the DA40 to check it out - KMSN FAH HIC V337 ECK YQO V464 BROTO KLOM.

In the bad old days, that would have been KMSN FAH HIC MOP MBS ECK YQO FOWEL BROTO KLOM.

What I don't like is that when you have airways expanded in the G1000 you get every single intersection on that airway added to your route. So, while it's easier to enter, now the flight plan looks like this: KMSN FAH HIC MOP MBS REESE VASAR WINTO ECK FOWEL FWBKB BROTO KLOM. And that's a route that's only occasionally on an airway!

I already plugged in a potential route to the FlyBQ in the DA40 to check it out - KMSN FAH HIC V337 ECK YQO V464 BROTO KLOM.

In the bad old days, that would have been KMSN FAH HIC MOP MBS ECK YQO FOWEL BROTO KLOM.

What I don't like is that when you have airways expanded in the G1000 you get every single intersection on that airway added to your route. So, while it's easier to enter, now the flight plan looks like this: KMSN FAH HIC MOP MBS REESE VASAR WINTO ECK FOWEL FWBKB BROTO KLOM. And that's a route that's only occasionally on an airway!

Collapse airways! :thumbsup:

It's handy to have them all in the route, though, in case you get a 'direct to' clearance (or a hold, even!). Around here, sometimes they'll vector you around in circles for traffic and then give you a direct clearance to a fix further down your route.

It's handy to have them all in the route, though, in case you get a 'direct to' clearance (or a hold, even!). Around here, sometimes they'll vector you around in circles for traffic and then give you a direct clearance to a fix further down your route.

True, but I've never been given a clearance direct to an intersection that was in the middle of an airway filed on the route, though - Only VOR's, or intersections that were explicitly filed.

In reality, I probably wouldn't bother putting the airways in the route anyway - I'd just go KMSN FAH HIC YQO BROTO KLOM.

Collapse airways! :thumbsup:

+1. On the Garmin Prodigy suite we enter airways the same as on the standard G1000 installations. It's not difficult, I just find it is not as intuitive as entering a route into the Collins system (FMS3000 is what I'm used to) since in the Collins system you can type in the airway and entry/exit point rather than having to scroll through a list of options. See the attached images.

I would imagine on a Part 25 installation, Garmin will find a way to interface the GCU (Garmin control unit) with the airway functionality so it's a little quicker to enter in a long route.

Best,
Jason

Attachments

• garmin.jpg
    garmin.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 229
  • collins.jpg
    collins.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 25
+1. On the Garmin Prodigy suite we enter airways the same as on the standard G1000 installations. It's not difficult, I just find it is not as intuitive as entering a route into the Collins system (FMS3000 is what I'm used to) since in the Collins system you can type in the airway and entry/exit point rather than having to scroll through a list of options. See the attached images.

I would imagine on a Part 25 installation, Garmin will find a way to interface the GCU (Garmin control unit) with the airway functionality so it's a little quicker to enter in a long route.

Best,
Jason
I would expect that on a G5000 installation that there would be a dedicated alphanumeric keypad. It's already on the G1000 in some installations, like the Cirrus.

No you can go to the menu and shrink (collapse) the Airway, then you will not have all the waypoints in the flight plan, just the V airways.

Last edited:
I would expect that on a G5000 installation that there would be a dedicated alphanumeric keypad. It's already on the G1000 in some installations, like the Cirrus.
Yes there will be 2 touch screen GCU's on the G5000 like the G3000 has.

+1. On the Garmin Prodigy suite we enter airways the same as on the standard G1000 installations. It's not difficult, I just find it is not as intuitive as entering a route into the Collins system

Yeah... I wasn't impressed with the usability factor there either. If you enter, for example, "KMSN FAH KLOM" and you want to put the airway after FAH, you move the cursor to... KLOM? What the hell. But yeah, that's how you do it - Put the cursor at KLOM, flip the small knob to the right one click, and then the "LD AIRWAY" softkey is activated at the lower right. But, it beats not having airways at all. :yes:

OBTW, I found this funny:

attachment.php

BAE BGOSH DLH? Hey waitaminute... Oshkosh is roughly between BAE and DLH, if a wee bit off course - But yes, it's not far from the intersection. Oshkosh BGOSH. :rofl: Now I just need to fly over it while wearing overalls. :D

The guy in the video says that airliners have had touch screen for quite some time, but what airliners have touch screen?

The guy in the video says that airliners have had touch screen for quite some time, but what airliners have touch screen?

The jets I flew in to India had them. But they were on the seatbacks in front of me (entertainment system). Don't know of any cockpits with them. :dunno:

I thought the 777 EFBs had them, but I'm not sure. A quick Google search didn't help me out much.

I thought the 777 EFBs had them, but I'm not sure. A quick Google search didn't help me out much.
I don't think the EFB on the planes are touch screen, they have little buttons like the G1000 does.

Similar landscape displays are already available on 2012 Cessna Columbia equipped with G2000.

A Google search of "Angry Birds G1000" turned up nothing.

The Photoshoppers of the Interwebz have disappointed me tonight. :(

G1000 has airways in it now.

Put start fix, hit V or J, select the ldawy soft key, select the airway, select the exit point, loads every fix.

I can load a DP, 5 airways, a STAR and an APPCH in 2 min total.

G1000 has airways in it now.

Put start fix, hit V or J, select the ldawy soft key, select the airway, select the exit point, loads every fix.

I can load a DP, 5 airways, a STAR and an APPCH in 2 min total.

It's had airways for a while... What kind of plane do you fly? I'm wondering if your Avionics were just behind on firmware updates?

Back