Garmin G5 SB 22013a

chemgeek

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
chemgeek
If you own a early generation Garmin G5, you may have experienced excessive backup battery discharge during period of flying inactivity. I was experiencing a loss of about 15-20% of the backup battery capacity per week between flights. On some occasions (like during long inclement winter weather spells) the backup batteries would discharge to 0% and become unrecoverable. I made inquiries to Garmin about this issue, and was not met with very helpful information.

However, this year, Garmin published SB 22013a, which acknowledges this issue and offers a (kinda) free fix. The labor to remove and reinstall is not really free unless you do it through a Garmin dealer, but the repair/replacement is covered under the SB if done prior to February 2023.

Garmin took my G5s back, and issued two replacement G5s. Once the RMA was issued (that was a more complicated than it should have been since my G5 installer was not a Garmin dealer), the replacement took less than 2 weeks. I'm happy to report that the refurbished G5s no longer discharge between flights. After two weeks of inactivity, my G5s showed 100% backup battery capacity when starting up today. If your early-gen G5s are misbehaving, this is the fix.

Back