Garmin G5 help

n2230b

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
fast eddie
Hello
Just installed G5 AI (PFD) for certificated aircraft only, (ie NOT with ehsi). First flight yesterday and had no compass or heading or track function/display. I did install the oat sensor and did receive TAS info. Took a long time for the horizon line and aircraft symbol to line up. I never saw an “align” annunciator message. Most distressing was that I could only enter barometric pressure and altitude select. Those were the only functions I could call up with the function knob other than backlight intensity. I thought the unit had an internal GPS, or do I need a separate GPS source? Is this normal? The pilot pilot guide and install. manuals are not very helpful. In retrospect my avionics shop did not answer some of my questions clearly and they may not have an abundance of experience with the G5. They are the ones that recommended the unit and I assumed they had experience. Any insight, observations and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!
Eddie

Hello
Just installed G5 AI (PFD) for certificated aircraft only, (ie NOT with ehsi). First flight yesterday and had no compass or heading or track function/display. I did install the oat sensor and did receive TAS info. Took a long time for the horizon line and aircraft symbol to line up. I never saw an “align” annunciator message. Most distressing was that I could only enter barometric pressure and altitude select. Those were the only functions I could call up with the function knob other than backlight intensity. I thought the unit had an internal GPS, or do I need a separate GPS source? Is this normal? The pilot pilot guide and install. manuals are not very helpful. In retrospect my avionics shop did not answer some of my questions clearly and they may not have an abundance of experience with the G5. They are the ones that recommended the unit and I assumed they had experience. Any insight, observations and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!
Eddie
You’re not going to get headings without gps signal, which it sounds like you’re missing. Did they install an antenna on the aircraft?

There is an internal Gps and internal Gps antenna, but if you use the internal gps in a certified plane, you are required to have an external antenna. The other option is to have an RS232 gps signal from a panel-mounted GPS.

That is a great clarification! You would think they could state that clearly in the pilots manual, (maybe I missed it). I do not have a panel mounted GPS, thats next on the hit list. Had to install the ADSB April 2019, buy a replacement DME and overhaul altimeter and VSI. Also new carpet and seat upholstery installed this summer. Paint is coming next by necessity, (big $’s). Been considering a G430 but many say get newer equipment. Any “economic” suggestions?
Thank you!

Been quite a few shops not installing these correctly, the limitations and configuration sections of the install manual are pretty clear.

Hello

There is an internal GPS, but it's supposed to have an external antenna in a certified install - And the current version of the install manual requires that antenna to be on the glareshield (see page 23 of the install manual Brian linked to). If you don't have that antenna on the glareshield, that may be why it's not working properly.

You won't get "compass" (heading) information unless you also installed the GMU11 magnetometer, which is normally only installed when the EHSI version of the G5 is installed, but you should get track at the top of the screen.

Can you take it out again, and take some pictures of both the main indication and the menu and post them? That would make it easier to figure out what might be going on.

I do not have a panel mounted GPS, thats next on the hit list. Had to install the ADSB April 2019, buy a replacement DME and overhaul altimeter and VSI. Also new carpet and seat upholstery installed this summer. Paint is coming next by necessity, (big $’s). Been considering a G430 but many say get newer equipment. Any “economic” suggestions?

Definitely don't spend your money on a 430 at this point. The installation itself costs a lot of money, and the 430, while it's a nice unit, is quite long in the tooth and will be reaching the end of its service life sooner rather than later.

Garmin's 2-inch units - 175 (GPS), 355 (GPS/Com), and 375 (GPS/ADS-B transponder) - Are all pretty economical for new units with their capabilities. It sounds like you already have ADS-B taken care of. If you need a newer Com radio, you may want the 355, otherwise the 175 is going to give you good bang for the buck.

Cheesehead!
This forum is better than I remember. You guys are great. Have close friends from Milwaukee, Madison and Stevens Point. Seriously considering Garmin 175 GPS. The reviews and tutorials on you tube are good. Presently have dual Collins Nav Coms which are fine units I see no reason to replace. I appreciate your observations very much. In retrospect I prob should have gone to sarasota avionics who are just up the coast 15 min. (I am at KPMP). Wanted to give a local avionics shop the business. No bad intentions just some lack of G5 experience.
Many thanks,

In retrospect I prob should have gone to sarasota avionics who are just up the coast 15 min. (I am at KPMP). Wanted to give a local avionics shop the business. No bad intentions just some lack of G5 experience.

Careful... It seems Sarasota has either decided that they're king of the hill or they're gouging people who are having trouble getting into shops with the flood of ADS-B installs. I got a quote from them this summer for a pretty big install and it was WAY out of whack... $80K. Went to a smaller shop and got a quote of $45K for the exact same work, which is right where I was expecting it to be. I'd heard that same thing from several others as well, that Sarasota is charging "F-you" rates right now.

Prob not an ideal time to do “elective” avionics work. And some of my avionics contacts say it wont get really crazy until Jan Feb 2020. As many as 50% of GA aircraft in SOFLA haven't installed ADS-B out is the estimate I’ve heard tossed around.

Back