Garmin G5 8.20 Update

Tan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TheCapTan
Anyone update to 8.20 yet. Any issues?

We had the IGRF out of date error earlier this year and the *fix* is a software update. 8.20 is that update for the certified world.

Easy peasy; I highly recommend you bring the maintenance manual with you as there is a chance some of the settings may get erased and you will need to reset them. If your installer did not provide you with the configuration sheet from the manual, I also recommend you take the time to copy that down before you do the update.

Logbook entry required, we recorded ours as database update for G5 AHI (S/N) and G5 HSI (S/N) completed IAW Garmin G5 Maintenance Manual & ICA (P/N), ops check complete.

Takes all of 20 mins for 2x G5s, including paperwork and ops check.

Thanks for posting, that's a pretty big one. I'll have to put this on my to do list.
I have not had mine updated. Mine has been in the shop all month.
Might as have them do that while it's there.

I’ve had 8.20 since shortly after it was released. No issues.

Oops. I was speaking of 8.02. Not 8.20–haven’t updated to it yet.

Last edited:
We had the IGRF out of date error earlier this year and the *fix* is a software update. 8.20 is that update for the certified world.

Easy peasy; I highly recommend you bring the maintenance manual with you as there is a chance some of the settings may get erased and you will need to reset them. If your installer did not provide you with the configuration sheet from the manual, I also recommend you take the time to copy that down before you do the update.

Logbook entry required, we recorded ours as database update for G5 AHI (S/N) and G5 HSI (S/N) completed IAW Garmin G5 Maintenance Manual & ICA (P/N), ops check complete.

Takes all of 20 mins for 2x G5s, including paperwork and ops check.

Do you know what settings got erased?

Do you know what settings got erased?

I do. I’m travelling right now, but can get them to you. The installation manual has the configurations settings in it.

You may have to do the update twice. Once to update the software, and once again to update the IGRF data. Otherwise, the update was a non-event. Maybe I didn't wait long enough for the IGRF data to update itself the first time around.

Back