Garmin D2 Delta PX Aviator Watch - PIREPs?

N1120A

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
N1120A
Anyone using this watch? How well does it work? Is the HRM accurate. I've been thinking of getting one not just for flying but for when I ride my Peloton - thoughts?

I think the display technology is the same as what is in their Fenix line of watches. I was underwhelmed by the displays. I was hoping for a watch that was as bright as an Apple Watch or Samsung galaxy with their OLED technology. The Garman smart watches use a different kind of display which is muted and not quite as bright. I understand that it affords for much longer battery life, but, for me, I am willing to trade off battery life for a bright beautiful display.

Garmin gets top marks for its fitness tracking. I would be completely sold on Garmin if they used OLED technology in their high end smart watches.

If you’re an iPhone user, anything other than an Apple Watch will not function optimally with an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't own an iPhone and will never own an iPhone, so that isn't a major factor.

My main use outside the airplane would be as a fitness tracker/HRM, so that is kinda what my focus is. If it works with Peloton, I'm basically sold

Garmin gets top marks for its fitness tracking. I would be completely sold on Garmin if they used OLED technology in their high end smart watches.
Well, just announced: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/707506

I have a Garmin Venu which is also AMOLED, but not 'high end' (below $500), I think I actually prefer the not-OLED version I had before.

Got the email about it this morning!

Looks like they added the aviation functionality to the Venu and tacked on an extra $150 for it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a D2 Delta and I agree the screen sucks! I'm 47 and my eyes are not as good as they use to be. I did like the Garmin connect software. It was intuitive and easy to use. The new one posted above looks much better than the D2 Delta.

Yeah, I saw the D2 Air today. What's the difference with the D2 Delta?

Just based on the specs and pics, the Air is a smaller, lighter version than the Delta. It’s also got a stainless steel bezel instead of titanium. The Air has the AMOLED screen (same bright screen technology in the Apple watch and Galaxy watches). The D2 has their “transreflective” screen that’s in all their other watches (much dimmer and muted colors).

As I said above, I think the D2 Air is just a Venu with the aviation functions added. I own a Venue and really like it. The screen is bright, it’s lightweight, but not chinsy. The fitness tracking is excellent and battery life is decent (charge every other day or so). There are a good number of watch faces you can choose from in the Garmin Connect IQ app. The Garmin Connect app is where you track all thing fitness with the watch and in my opinion is among the top fitness tracking apps out there.

My complaints are only in regard to its compatibility with my iPhone (no “interactive” features- just notifications). There is also no speaker in the Venue/D2 Air so notifications and alarms just buzz your wrist.

Head to REI and take a look at the Fenix and Venue and you’ll have a pretty good physical comparison between the D2 Delta and the D2 Air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Watch looks very good, I have one question though. Does it play nice with ForeFlight? I am not going to change to Garmin Pilot and I am wondering if the watch’s HSI will work in coordination with ForeFlight?

Watch looks very good, I have one question though. Does it play nice with ForeFlight? I am not going to change to Garmin Pilot and I am wondering if the watch’s HSI will work in coordination with ForeFlight?

I think it can connect directly to your avionics, if you have something with Connext like a 375/355/175 or FS210

I think I saw a Facebook post on Garmin’s ad that said it would not talk to ForeFlight. I could be wrong, though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a D2 Air. Very light weight and the screen is beautiful.
I'm a little bummed that it can't integrate with my iPhone as well as the Apple Watch (was hoping to ditch the AW).
Definitely no integration with ForeFlight. I'm not willing to use Garmin Pilot just to see how nicely the watch works.

An analogue watch with a second hand is good enough for me to tell time or time approaches. I just need to get a new battery in mine.

An analogue watch with a second hand is good enough for me to tell time or time approaches. I just need to get a new battery in mine.

I love analog watches. The reasons I'd get this is not for telling time. I want a reliable HRM and the connectivity with my panel is huge.

I love analog watches. The reasons I'd get this is not for telling time. I want a reliable HRM and the connectivity with my panel is huge.

Does the watch connect to a Garmin panel? About to change to the G3X from analog and ForeFLight. Maybe this watch connects to the G3x???

I think it can connect directly to your avionics, if you have something with Connext like a 375/355/175 or FS210

I don't think D2 Air will communicate with avionics. But the D2 Delta series will. The HRM is reliable (at least for resting, running, etc.).

Does the watch connect to a Garmin panel? About to change to the G3X from analog and ForeFLight. Maybe this watch connects to the G3x???
According to the owner's manual, the watch can used the Connext protocol to connect with Garmin Pilot to load flight plans, and it can also apparently show at least traffic (if not weather) from a portable GDL 50, but I don't see any mention about using Connext to communicate with panel-mounted avionics like a GTN 650/750 GPS (via the FS510) or a GTX 345 transponder.

According to the owner's manual, the watch can used the Connext protocol to connect with Garmin Pilot to load flight plans, and it can also apparently show at least traffic (if not weather) from a portable GDL 50, but I don't see any mention about using Connext to communicate with panel-mounted avionics like a GTN 650/750 GPS (via the FS510) or a GTX 345 transponder.
Garmin has a history of not playing well with others. I sold my boat GPS because the Garmin unit would not work with the absolute best chip, bought another brand and never looked back.

Garmin has missed the boat (see what I did there?) by not making the D2 Air compatible with other platforms. I would have bought one for sure

Back