Garmin. Bain of my Existence

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Well, just got back from Gaston's.

Coming out of STL the GNS 430W went TU. "The PTT switch is stuck on" but the system would receive and the flip flop box says "Rx".

I just want ONE trip in which everything works. I think it's too much to ask. It's just $13,000.....

sigh.

Attachments

• 430WFailureSmall.jpg
    430WFailureSmall.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
My heart goes out for ya, Doc.

I don't know what to say. 1. Doesn't that thing have a warranty? -or-
2. Wanna buy a used ADF?:eek:

Maybe there's hope. My 430W worked flawlessly, although it didn't help the headwind. And Bruce, thank you, thank you, thank you for the instruction!!!

Well, just got back from Gaston's.

Coming out of STL the GNS 430W went TU. "The PTT switch is stuck on" but the system would receive and the flip flop box says "Rx".

I just want ONE trip in which everything works. I think it's too much to ask. It's just $13,000.....

sigh.

It's a plot to force you to update the databse of the MX 20....

Well Bruce , In my mind there is no substitute for my 170 B's. But i'm glad you made it home OK
Dave G.

Hmm - sounds VERY similar to the problems I'm having with my GNS430 (non-WAAS). It seems like a problem with the squelch; sometimes I can fix it briefly by breaking squelch, but not always. Xmissions are garbled, RX is almost always on, ATC got on my case big time before I figured out I had a problem. I'm trying to get into the avionics shop but that's probably 2-3 weeks out. If you find a solution sooner, please PM me. I suspect the unit itself is, as you say, TU.

Hmm - sounds VERY similar to the problems I'm having with my GNS430 (non-WAAS). It seems like a problem with the squelch; sometimes I can fix it briefly by breaking squelch, but not always. Xmissions are garbled, RX is almost always on, ATC got on my case big time before I figured out I had a problem. I'm trying to get into the avionics shop but that's probably 2-3 weeks out. If you find a solution sooner, please PM me. I suspect the unit itself is, as you say, TU.
Oooh! Just before this happened, I was playing with the Audio panel to figure out which box had the squelch FULL OPEN. Hmmmn.

Sorry you had issues Doc. It was nice to see you again; sorry you had to shut one down for me.

I'd still like to see where your daughter got all the dance talent from sometime <vbg>

Best,

Dave

Oooh! Just before this happened, I was playing with the Audio panel to figure out which box had the squelch FULL OPEN. Hmmmn.

Hmmmm sounds like Garmin may have another "bad board" problem, not the first in the companies history (nor any other computer manufacturers either). Had a bad board on one of their marine GPS units before. Nothing like putting a new GPS on a boat in Louisiana and having it tell you you're in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.

Well, the loaner is in the panel. Good thing I took a picture of the front with my digital camera....they cannot reproduce it. It's supposed to reset fter 30 seconds but did not! After 8 hours of "off" it apparently did reset.

sigh.

Back