Garmin Avionics

jmpoplin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NCFlyer
Does anyone have much experience and/or can tell me the fundamental differences between the Garmin GNS 430W & 530W beyond having a larger screen?

Any words on having a Garmin GMA 340/347 audio panel?

Just thinking about upgrades like everyone else out there and want to make an informed decision.

430 smaller screen, less cost, fewer inputs/outputs

530 larger screen, cost more, more inputs/outputs

Basically same with the audio panel except one has a recorder

Besides the big screen, the 530 offers an additional display -- the so-called "HSI" picture on the NAV1 page, which most folks really like having. It also has a separate VNAV button so you don't have to scroll around with the knobs to get that page.

As for an audio panel, that's a radio managment and intercom issue. If you don't mind always having to turn radios up and down, and already have an intercom, there's no absolute need to add an audio panel, but most folks like having one. If you have one, and are happy with it, there's no need to replace it just because you've added a 530.

Get the 430W and with the saved $$ get a handheld with HSI and Weather.

When the primary electric dies in you might have 30 minutes of power left in the 430W -- maybe.

The handheld should last at least an hour.

I'm a guy who is a sucker for options, but even I would say go for the 430. The 530 has some nice-to-have's that Ron mentioned. It also, IIRC, will display the identifier of the VOR you have tuned. I don't think the nice-to-haves are worth the price. I've flown about 20-30hrs behind a 530 and never felt like I was missing something only having a 430.

I find the most useful difference is the constantly displayed radial/distance on the tuned VOR station that the 530 has but the 430 does not.

Still, for the money difference, I would go with the 430W. That's what I did with my Cardinal. Either box, paired with a -96 for weather and backup, is a great package. The 210 came with a 530, so I am not going to take it out!

Wells

I think the 530/430 differences have been discussed well. I like the 530 better but I'm not sure it's worth the price.

As mentioned an audio panel is not necessary but it is nice. We looked at replacing our 340 and while the 347 is a nice upgrade PS Engineering has what I consider a better product. I was almost convinced to upgrade to the one with an MP3 player. The main driver was getting a phone input.

I'm convinced a more cost efficient method for a phone is a Lightspeed Zulu with Bluetooth.

And before music idea gets pooh-poohed by my colleagues, the #1 thing I like about music is the auto-muting does wonders for keeping the passengers quiet, especially if they are pilots.

Joe

The biggest advantage of the 530 is that if you want an MFD as well as a GPS/comm/nav, you have your MFD screen built in. If you want an MFD with a 430, the combination costs a lot more than a 530. That's why I went with the 530, not just those extra features. If you don't want an MFD, go with the 430.

Ron, you talked about having an MFD with the 530 but other than normal displays, can you do anything else with it?

A 530W can be installed at a greater discount to the list price than the 430W because it takes exactly the same amount of installation labor and has much more margin in terms of dollars in the GPS.

The difference in list price between the units is $5,745, whereas the difference in dealer cost is $3,447. Assuming a labor rate of $80 for installation and 40 hours, labor is $3,200. So for a 430W, a good installed price is the list price. For a 530W, with the same profit for the dealer, the installed price would be almost $2000 below the list price.

So, my advise is to negotiate your best deal for a 430W. Then let the shop know if they will install a 530W for the same absolute profit, you have a deal. It should be no skin off their nose and they earn your business. Depending on the shop, the installed 530W price should be in the vicinity of $14,200 +/-.

Ron, you talked about having an MFD with the 530 but other than normal displays, can you do anything else with it?
Traffic, weather, and terrain. You can do them all on the 430, but the display is so small you can't see them very well. If you actually fly a 10 hours or so with each, you won't have any question in your mind that the 530 is worth the extra money.

Traffic, weather, and terrain. You can do them all on the 430, but the display is so small you can't see them very well. If you actually fly a 10 hours or so with each, you won't have any question in your mind that the 530 is worth the extra money.

Terrain n the 430 is perfectly readable and all you really need is terrain warning -- the towers and such may be worth a glance on approach or departure, but otherwise isn't used often.

I find the 430 perfectly legible from either seat, and the handheld 496 provides wx at a fraction of the upgrade price.

I'm not sure what the compelling argument is for the 5 over the 4 -- but IMHO if you want full MFD/PFD get one -- and skip the halfway measure.

:dunno:

Or for a fraction of the difference put in an 8" LCD touch screen coupled to a handheld GPS - and completely blow away the "awesome" display of the 530.

Terrain n the 430 is perfectly readable and all you really need is terrain warning -- the towers and such may be worth a glance on approach or departure, but otherwise isn't used often.

I find the 430 perfectly legible from either seat, and the handheld 496 provides wx at a fraction of the upgrade price.

I'm not sure what the compelling argument is for the 5 over the 4 -- but IMHO if you want full MFD/PFD get one -- and skip the halfway measure.

:dunno:

The argument is Ron has a 530, so there is no way some other setup could be better.

The argument is Ron has a 530, so there is no way some other setup could be better.
Actually, I have a Garmin Aera 510 I use for weather and backup. However, I have flown with just about every IFR GPS and display system available in light GA aircraft, and my opinion is based on that experience, and the feedback from the folks with whom I flew. I've not heard one express regret over having gone the extra bucks for the 530, but I've heard plenty with 430's say they wished they'd gone for the 530, especially after seeing one in flight.

I have a 430, think it's the best value for a new-install IFR-cert box.

But, I have flown with 530s as well, and I'd love to have one, because you can display a lot more "stuff" on it. Particularly like when showing approaches, etc. Also good if you have traffic installed (I don't).

Ed's current setup is pretty cool.

I installed the 430W so the autopilot would have something to talk to, got a 696 for WX, traffic and big screen for me to look at.

I have a 430, think it's the best value for a new-install IFR-cert box.

But, I have flown with 530s as well, and I'd love to have one, because you can display a lot more "stuff" on it. Particularly like when showing approaches, etc. Also good if you have traffic installed (I don't).

Ed's current setup is pretty cool.

I installed the 430W so the autopilot would have something to talk to, got a 696 for WX, traffic and big screen for me to look at.

That sounds pretty much perfect to me.

Or for a fraction of the difference put in an 8" LCD touch screen coupled to a handheld GPS - and completely blow away the "awesome" display of the 530.

I like this solution very well, assuming you have panel space for your 8" LCD touch screen coupled to the handheld GPS.

I've flown 430s, 530s, and have a KLN94 in the Aztec. I've also flown old text-only GPSs. I don't care what of GPS is in it so long as it lets me shoot approaches and go direct. I can get all the other information I need. I actually like my KLN94/KX155A setup in some ways better than a 430 or 530, simply because it has a better division of stuff. A single point of failure takes out fewer parts of my avionics. If I were buying a 430 or a 530, I'd get a 430.

I agree with Ed and Dan on getting a handheld, and for the same reasons that Dan mentioned. When the electrical system goes out (as has happened to many of us), that handheld is very nifty. One point here - if you have a 430 or a 530 and buy a Garmin x96 handheld, the routing can be automatically downloaded into the handheld. Pretty nifty if you ask me, but I don't think the Garmin handhelds are the best value or have the best features. Once again, comes down to what you're looking for.

A 530W can be installed at a greater discount to the list price than the 430W because it takes exactly the same amount of installation labor and has much more margin in terms of dollars in the GPS.

The difference in list price between the units is $5,745, whereas the difference in dealer cost is $3,447. Assuming a labor rate of $80 for installation and 40 hours, labor is $3,200. So for a 430W, a good installed price is the list price. For a 530W, with the same profit for the dealer, the installed price would be almost $2000 below the list price.

So, my advise is to negotiate your best deal for a 430W. Then let the shop know if they will install a 530W for the same absolute profit, you have a deal. It should be no skin off their nose and they earn your business. Depending on the shop, the installed 530W price should be in the vicinity of $14,200 +/-.

And this is the reason why Experimental is the only way to go.

530 - $7k
Labor - Free
Install - Perfect

Although...I recently installed weather.

I have a full Garmin stack however I ended up with the Weather Worx receiver because I have a GRT HX which interfaced well for 600.00 instead of 4k. Same results.

The others are right, a 530 with a handheld Area (whatever model) is the best way to go.

And this is the reason why Experimental is the only way to go.

Really? What 4-place experimental can I buy for under $55k with a useful load of 1250lbs that will seat 4 full sized adults and give me a range of around 1000nm at around 150kts?

Wayne, does the 696 display WX and traffic without a special receiver? I assume you will subscribe to a WX like XM but what about traffic?

That doesn't look like a plane. That looks like a dust gathering project. And no interior, no avionics, no engine...I guarantee I drop more than 55k into that project.

Back