Garmin Avionics Shop

Jack Presley

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Elvis
I'm new to getting any avionics upgraded. I'm curious about big shop, small shop, pricing, etc. The obvious answer, I guess is to get quotes and go from there. But, still, I have questions.

Here is my current setup:
GMA-350 Audio Panel
430W Navigator
Narco Com/Nav
GTX-335 Txpdr
Old EI engine monitor
400b Autopilot

G5 installed where the turn-coordinator was, flush mounted. (Frustrating, why I dunno).

End game, I'd like to have:
G5 stack
750xi navigator
430w as backup com/nav/gps
345 for ADS-B In/traffic
500 a/p
A full up engine monitor with FF, MP, Tach, etc.

Remove vacuum system, Narco, ADF, 400 DME, 400b, AH, DG.

Since I'm adding a G5 HSI, I'd use the existing CDI with the 430w as a backup, and remove the second CDI tied to the Narco.

First, is this a legit plan?
Second, is a pipe dream to do this incrementally to avoid more $$ shock?
Third, big shops vs. small shop

Recommendations appreciated.

What model and year plane?

Generally, if things aren't too unreasonable, you can get the install work done for the price differential between the list price for most of those units and the normal discount.

Left Panel.jpeg Center Stack.jpeg

I'm thinking I want to relocate the ELT. Remove the 400b and Narco. So center stack would be 750xi, 430w, 500 A/P, Transponder.

Then put in the G5 stack above the yoke. Engine monitor in the G5 hole?? Or where the DME is? Leave the analog gauges on the right panel?

Thanks for the inputs. (Sorry if I screwed up the post. Still getting the hang of the forum.)

I'd ditch the DME and move the engine analyzer of your choice over there. That's where one of mine is (I have the #1 NAV on the HSI, and the #2 where your CDI is).

I'm new to getting any avionics upgraded. I'm curious about big shop, small shop, pricing, etc. The obvious answer, I guess is to get quotes and go from there. But, still, I have questions.

Since I'm adding a G5 HSI, I'd use the existing CDI with the 430w as a backup, and remove the second CDI tied to the Narco.

Seems relatively legit ... I wouldn't recommend doing this piecemeal, but depending on which parts you want to split up, it could be done somewhat in parts (say splitting the avionics and the engine monitor). Are you looking at doing a primary engine monitor, or just something fancier like an EDM-830?

I think you'll find you hate having the mixed GTN and GNS touch vs knobs. I had a GTN and GNS in my T210L initially and it just drove me nuts, so I pretty quickly swapped that to a 650, but these days I might have done a GNC355. As to keeping the existing CDI, if you want to hook both radios (GTN and the GNS) to the G5's you cannot have an external CDI. And by eliminating both CDIs you can re-arrange to a more standard 6 pack centered over the yoke.

I did a very similar upgrade to a friend's T210N a few years ago, I think you'll be amazed by how much the dual G5s and GFC-500 transforms the airplane. BTW, there is some serious gutting involved removing the old 400 DME and 400B AP. There are multiple boxes for the AP under the rear seat plus the 400 DME shoebox is back in the tail. You are looking at ~20 lbs of wire alone running in the sidewall and under the floor in removing all that.

IMG_0652.jpeg
IMG_1214.jpeg
IMG_1218.jpeg
IMG_2188.jpeg

If you're gonna do it do it like a bandaid and rip it off all in one shot. Having to go back in would just suck, as opposed to being able to have everything prewired on a bench then installed.

Best to do it in one shot. Then you're only paying labor to take it all apart once, the wiring for all devices can be done at the same time and bundled and built as a single integrated harness, etc. Plus the wiring will look much neater as the harness doesn't have to be torn apart repeatedly to integrate the wiring for each new device.

Seems relatively legit ... I wouldn't recommend doing this piecemeal, but depending on which parts you want to split up, it could be done somewhat in parts (say splitting the avionics and the engine monitor). Are you looking at doing a primary engine monitor, or just something fancier like an EDM-830?...

I want the engine monitor to replace the old EI plus the tach, MP, etc. all the little analog gauges.
Wowser. Look at all that wire! That is amazing. Thanks.

I want the engine monitor to replace the old EI plus the tach, MP, etc. all the little analog gauges.
Wowser. Look at all that wire! That is amazing. Thanks.

If you want to replace all the analog stuff, you are looking for a primary engine monitor. The one in the upgrade I posted and AggieMike's is the JPI 730/830 (same unit, just 830 comes with all the options) which is a great unit, but non-primary so you'd have to keep your analog instruments. The JPI primary instruments are the 900 and 930. EI makes the CGR-30P and the MVP-50 as their primary units, and Garmin has the GI-275 w/EIS as it's primary EIS system (you can also add EIS to a G3X or G500 TXi system). EI offers an upgrade from the UBG-16 (what you have) to the CGR-30P and there is a rebate promotion for that right now as well. I personally think the CGR-30P and GI-275 are a bit small for all the info... you end up having to go through sub pages to see everything.

What engine monitor is that?
JPI EDM830.

But if you want one to be the primary for engine, oil temp/pressure, fuel, etc, then for the JPI line you'd need the EDM930.

There are other brands/models out there that also do the job. And I'm pretty sure most of them have been discussed on PoA over the years.

I personally think the CGR-30P and GI-275 are a bit small for all the info... you end up having to go through sub pages to see everything.

Not excited about stepping through pages. Appreciate the heads up on that, as well as the other good info.

Garmin makes the GEA 24 engine analyzer, which integrates with the G3X Touch.

GMA-350 Audio Panel
430W Navigator
Narco Com/Nav
GTX-335 Txpdr
Old EI engine monitor
400b Autopilot

G5 installed where the turn-coordinator was, flush mounted. (Frustrating, why I dunno).

G5 stack
750xi navigator
345 for ADS-B In/traffic
500 a/p

GMA-350 Audio Panel
430W Navigator
Narco Com/Nav
GTX-335 Txpdr
Old EI engine monitor
400b Autopilot

G5 stack
750xi navigator
345 for ADS-B In/traffic
500 a/p

GMA-350 Audio Panel
430W Navigator
Narco Com/Nav
GTX-335 Txpdr
Old EI engine monitor
400b Autopilot

G5 stack
750xi navigator
345 for ADS-B In/traffic
500 a/p

1966 T210F. Pre-wired for the GFC-500, since it wasn’t STC’d at the time.
Good luck with your upgrade.

Attachments

• 3617E626-6627-4AFA-BE55-0823D1FFD225.jpeg
    3617E626-6627-4AFA-BE55-0823D1FFD225.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 48
Id love to know what this upgrade costs but I'm going to guess...$60k in hardware and $15-20k to install so I'd say $75 to 80k total.

**Without selling any old stuff

Not excited about stepping through pages. Appreciate the heads up on that, as well as the other good info.

I've got a CGR30P in my Super Viking, and a 3-screen CGR30P setup in my Twin Bonanza. On the whole, the CGR doesn't generally require a lot of page stepping for normal operations. All of the "main" data is presented on a single screen. You do have to step to see EGT/CHT, but that's pretty easy. If you really want to avoid screen-stepping, add a CGR30C to your setup, which will give you some more screen real estate.

Garmin makes the GEA 24 engine analyzer, which integrates with the G3X Touch.
I always wonder why so many Garmin upgrades end up with a JPI or EI engine monitor. I'm not particularly fond of the G3X engine display, but don't understand why more people don't use it.

I always wonder why so many Garmin upgrades end up with a JPI or EI engine monitor. I'm not particularly fond of the G3X engine display, but don't understand why more people don't use it.

JPI or EI came first, why pay $$$ for no additional functionality? When I upgrade, the JPI will stay.

because the txi Eis is more than twice the price of the jpi; the 275 is tiny and cluttered. More money for the same information.

In our case, we already had the engine monitor that was out in with the new engine approximately 3 years ago.

JPI or EI came first, why pay $$$ for no additional functionality? When I upgrade, the JPI will stay.
I understand that, but I hear of and see quotes and new panels that put the JPI or EI instead of the G3X EIS.

The other advantage of a separate engine monitor is simply more screen area available for pfd,mfd screens…a plus for those of us who are seniors.

Back