Garmin Aera or FF Stratus

iRyan

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Hi all,

I plan on doing more instrument flying in actual and taking some long distance trips in the near future. The planes I fly are steam. In case of instrument failure, what do you all recommend for partial panel flying? I remember the garmin units have the panel page that is near real time. How is the FF stratus ahrs? any recommendations?
Thanks

What are the chances of a simultaneous vacuum and electrical failure that would render both of your steam gauges for attitude useless? If we are talking more reliable, I'd imagine the Garmin Aera is the safer bet versus an iToy. However, as long FF was calibrated for S&L flight, it would likely work in a pinch as well. Personally, I'd be choosing them based off of other criteria than the AHRS backup.

Foreflight all day long. I've had a 496, Aera 560 and 3 iPads with FF. There is no question which one will be best if you had a complete failure.

I have flown IFR(hood w/safety) enroute to class C and executed a GPS approach to Mins with sticky notes over every steam guage and the 430. Dare I say it was easier as my eyes really didn't move in my scan.

Have used both the 496 and FF in practice and much prefer the FF app.

Take a look at this software running on the DELL Venue 8 Pro Model 5855 with 64GB. Although I'm sure everything runs fine on the earlier 3000 series DV8Pro that the company sells, the new 5855 is a significant improvement with 4GB memory, faster processor and internal GPS.

http://aviationsafety.com/

I don't have any experience with FF or any Apple hardware but I can't see how FF has anything to match what this inexpensive software (Flight Cheetah) does. The instructional videos at the website above are dated - using a Samsung tablet (one of their earlier platforms) with "keys" - instead of the touch, pinch & zoom and other features touchscreens provide. The developer does himself a disservice by not upgrading his website but I imagine he and staff stay pretty busy keeping the databases current. This software is mature and extremely capable - moreso than anything else I've looked at for portable use.

The DV8Pro is a slim tablet, same size as an iPad Mini, with nine-hour battery life. It slides easily into a cockpit side pocket. If heading for or encountering IFR along the way, one could turn it on and let it ride along so as to be ready for instant use if installed avionics become unusable. It provides - just with the tablet's internal GPS - synthetic vision and visual HITS guidance throughout the approach procedure to any runway threshold with published approaches. It's an amazing product.

Back