Garmin acquires FltPlan

I'm guessing others got this email as well, but just in case:

August 29, 2018

Dear loyal FltPlan user:

Looking to the future, this acquisition will integrate FltPlan’s industry-leading web portal, FltPlan.com, and mobile application, FltPlan Go, into the Garmin ecosystem to create a superior portfolio of end-to-end services. Premium flight planning services and programs, such as FltLogic, FltPlan Manager, APIS/eAPIS, SMS, pre-departure clearances, international handling, overflight fees and more, will continue to grow and improve as we work together to expand the capabilities of FltPlan.com and FltPlan Go.

Garmin is committed to ensuring FltPlan continues to be the industry-leading choice for domestic and international electronic flight plan filing and services. Collectively, we are dedicated to increasing the quality of innovation, support and service that you have come to expect from our companies over the years.

Again, thank you for putting your trust in FltPlan over the years. We look forward to continuing to serve you as part of the Garmin family for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Ken Wilson
Founder
FltPlan.com (Flight Plan LLC)

"into the Garmin ecosystem" sounds ominus. Goodby the ability to interface with other systems, and of course the free version of FltPlan Go and probably their premium version as well. Why would a company offer two competing apps, one of which was free? The line from the character Gordon Gekko in Wall Street comes to mind, "greed is good". Rats.

Why else would you build a tech company ? Sell to Google, Facebook or in this case Garmin.

It's the new American dream!

The guys who started YouTube, Instagram, and WhatsApp are all loving life, I'm sure. I wish more of them would pull an Elon and do something useful with their fortunes.

Back