garmin -96 series antenna

n20junkie

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Farmer
I have a 296, and am wondering if there is an external (as in airframe mounted like a panel GPS) antenna for them. Most panel mount GPS antennas say that there not for handhelds. I figured someone has come across this issue.

I have a 296, and am wondering if there is an external (as in airframe mounted like a panel GPS) antenna for them. Most panel mount GPS antennas say that there not for handhelds. I figured someone has come across this issue.

I have for quite a few years used s Sensor Systems external GPS antenna with a Garmin GPS 92 - and it has performed flawlessly. I don't have the exact model number at hand, but the GPS 92 has a 5 Volt output on the coax center conductor for powering the antenna internal preamplifier.

I don't know if the Garmin 296/396/496 are compatible with my antenna, but you can check out the various Sensor Systems antennas here:

http://www.sensorantennas.com/antenna/GPS.htm

You need to find out what voltage the GPS provides for the preamp and what gain is required to identify the model compatible with your equipment.

Dave

A lot of people use the Garmin GA56 that is used with the GNS430/530. You can find them on EBay, usually for about $50. They are removed when the GNS430/530 is upgraded to WAAS with the WAAS antenna and become surplus.

A lot of people use the Garmin GA56 that is used with the GNS430/530. You can find them on EBay, usually for about $50. They are removed when the GNS430/530 is upgraded to WAAS with the WAAS antenna and become surplus.
Will they work for WAAS on the 396/496? I'm guessing not.

Back