Garmin 796 losing GPS after couple hours

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
My antenna sits in on dash and for someone reason doesn't work after usual couple hours in air. if I take it down and turn it off and let it cool it does fine again after 30-40 minutes.

Anyone have same problem? It seems that it's getting to warm or something, is that possible?

My antenna sits in on dash and for someone reason doesn't work after usual couple hours in air. if I take it down and turn it off and let it cool it does fine again after 30-40 minutes.

Anyone have same problem? It seems that it's getting to warm or something, is that possible?

My Garmin 796 antenna is attached to the outside top of the plane. You should consider going to an external. It works without issue in that config.

My Garmin 796 antenna is attached to the outside top of the plane. You should consider going to an external. It works without issue in that config.

How much did that cost? I agree great idea but have only had for 5 months and now just figuring out some options.

How much did that cost? I agree great idea but have only had for 5 months and now just figuring out some options.

Go to Sporty's or any of the pilot shops, they cost about $400...

Why do you have a antenna on the dash anyway? The 796 has a great internal antenna. Try to use without the external crap. The units I have had picked up inside my house without issues. For sure no problems in a airplane.

Why do you have a antenna on the dash anyway? The 796 has a great internal antenna. Try to use without the external crap. The units I have had picked up inside my house without issues. For sure no problems in a airplane.

I havent been so fortunate and when I lose the signal, I lose where I am at. I may be wrong but doesn't it help with my XM also?

I havent been so fortunate and when I lose the signal, I lose where I am at. I may be wrong but doesn't it help with my XM also?

You should have an XM antenna and a GPS antenna. The XM one sits on your dash for the 796. The only really reliable way to get GPS for the 796 is to mount a Garmin GPS antenna on top of your plane and don't paint it. If you don't want to put it in, have a radio guy do it for you.

You need the antenna on top of your airplane for a dash mount gps, not a freaking handheld..... The round hockey puck antenna is for XM. The other small antenna should not be needed. Garmin will also tell you the internal antenna is excellent. I have NEVER seen anyone connect a antenna on top of the plane to a handheld. Maybe that stuff happens when you get a bunch of backwoods rednecks patching stuff together. LOL!
I have sold hundreds of Garmin handhelds and never had a reception problem with any.

You need the antenna on top of your airplane for a dash mount gps, not a freaking handheld..... The round hockey puck antenna is for XM. The other small antenna should not be needed. Garmin will also tell you the internal antenna is excellent. I have NEVER seen anyone connect a antenna on top of the plane to a handheld. Maybe that stuff happens when you get a bunch of backwoods rednecks patching stuff together. LOL!
I have sold hundreds of Garmin handhelds and never had a reception problem with any.

The Garmin 796 is dash-mount. I have it in my plane. The external antenna is an absolute must. I always get five sats that way. The XM antenna is on the dash, also hooked to the 796. The device can be used in both modes, portable, or mounted.

All new Flight Design CTLS come equipped in this way.

Since he is already hooking it to an inside antenna, there is no reason he can't also mount it and attach it to an external antenna to get a bullet-proof setup.

As a former okie resident I take offense of the redneck comment! I was proud of that after riding the tractor at end of the day.

So, xm antenna not the issue what else would cause me to lose my GPS signal after a couple hours flying on a regular basis. Shut it off and 30 minutes later it's working again. :dunno:

The Garmin 796 is dash-mount. I have it in my plane. The external antenna is an absolute must. I always get five sats that way. The XM antenna is on the dash, also hooked to the 796. The device can be used in both modes, portable, or mounted.

All new Flight Design CTLS come equipped in this way.

Since he is already hooking it to an inside antenna, there is no reason he can't also mount it and attach it to an external antenna to get a bullet-proof setup.

Five? You're getting crap, you should see 12.

Back