Garmin 796 comm drop feature

Scott MacMoyle

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M
I just installed a Garmin GTR 200B. Love it so far. I tried to get fancy and connect the orange wire from the GPS and put it to pin 24 on the com. I updated the interface in the GPS but no luck. I did not buy the bare wire cradle. I cut open the wire bundle that came with the yoke mount and found an orange wire and thought it would work. Maybe its not connected to the dock connector or maybe I did something wrong. Anyone have any experience with this ? Comm drop is a nice feature. I would like to use it.

If you don't get the power/data cable, the serial ports don't work. I have tried what you mentioned before and there is nothing we could do to get it to work. The normal cable doesn't even have the wires connected to the pins to make that work.

What is "comm drop"?

thanks so much for your reply. Damn Garmin. Now I have to buy a bare wire connector.

If you have a Garmin 796 or some other Garmin units you can touch a frequency on the waypoint page and it will put it in the standby section of Garmin comm radios or some older SL radios.

thanks so much for your reply. Damn Garmin. Now I have to buy a bare wire connector.

If you have a Garmin 796 or some other Garmin units you can touch a frequency on the waypoint page and it will put it in the standby section of Garmin comm radios or some older SL radios.
Thanks, I didn't know that's what that feature was called.

I think its called com drop. a 796 will do it with a GTR200. its just one wire. I got my radio from spruce with a pre wired harness with jacks. It was a bit pricey but it also came with the wire that uses the com drop (RS232 in, pin 24) so Its a simple matter of attaching it to the orange wire and changing the serial port to send out VHF frequencies. Spuce also sells a bare wire connector which I just found out must be used.

Back