Garmin 750 and Flight Stream 510

Derald Madson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
dmadson3
I fly IFR quite a bit so when updating my Garmin 750's nav database I was tempted into buying the 12 month package that contained everything. Nav datbase, charts, terrain, etc etc. I really don't need this information since I fly with foreflight on my iPad, but I figured since the bundle saved me $200 and I got all the information you could possibly need to fly all on just the Garmin it'd be worth the 600+$ for a backup to my iPad and I'd keep my Garmin current for the year.

Well I also use flight stream 510 to upload my flight plans from my ipad to the 750 and vice versa. It uses a SD card to share the information. This is also the same slot where you need to insert an SD card to upload the new databases. WELL APPARENTLY for charts, terrain, and obstacle information to work on the 750 you have to keep this upload SD card inserted. Even worse I can't just flip the cards in flight without rebooting the entire avionics system. So now I either fly with the information I paid an extra $400 dollars for or use the 1.5k$ flight stream.

I am totally shocked that a 30K computer and GPS can't hold 500mb of information and needs to use an SD card for memory support. Someone please tell me I'm wrong and there's a way to get the information onto the base 750...

You can upload all the DB stuff through the 510 with Garmin Pilot (the ipad app). I believe, but not sure that you can just use the free app without subscribing to charts for uploads. With what you have already purchased, you can get GP for under $100 and the IFR upgrade free.

You can upload all the DB stuff through the 510 with Garmin Pilot (the ipad app). I believe, but not sure that you can just use the free app without subscribing to charts for uploads. With what you have already purchased, you can get GP for under $100 and the IFR upgrade free.
Okay thanks. I'll have to look into that. So you use garmin pilot and all the charts etc show up on your Garmin gps?

Okay thanks. I'll have to look into that. So you use garmin pilot and all the charts etc show up on your Garmin gps?
Yes, you download into the iPad and upload through the 510. Not how I personally do it, but that's the main point of the 510, which uses wifi vs the 210 which uses slower bluetooth for flight plans in and ADSB and AHRS data out. You could also sell the 510, and install the less expensive 210 and likely cover a good chunk of the installation cost. That also gets you a back-up AHRS.
Lastly, I'm not familiar with the 510 in detail, but is there not enough room for the data on the 510 SD card itself? Garmin shows it having 32G of space, which is way more than enough for all the data a 750 needs

You don’t need both cards. The 510 is also an SD card itself. Just load everything on the 510 you don’t need the other SD card.

You don’t need both cards. The 510 is also an SD card itself. Just load everything on the 510 you don’t need the other SD card.

Ah okay i figured this might be a solution but I was afraid to put the flight stream SD card in my computer. Thought I'd break it.

EDIT: Did some research. Sounds like I can use the 510 wifi to upload the charts directly to the 510. Assuming if I want to switch my wifi over to my stratus the charts will stay active in the 510. The Foreflight website says I don't get AHRS with just a 750 and 510 so I'd like to stay on Stratus wifi as an AHRS backup

Last edited:
You'll need Garmin Pilot to upload nav data over wifi to the 510. Honestly, I'd just load it on the 510 SD card if it were me and you want to stay on Foreflight. Not sure if your iPad can connect to the 510 and stratus simultaneously. The ability for flight plan changes to pass back and forth between your GTN and your iPad is a big benefit of having the 510.

Do you have an ADSB in solution other than the stratus? If not, you might be a candidate to downgrade to a 210 (which requires installation). Sell the 510. Use bluetooth to connect to the GTN for flight plan and ADSB data. Use wifi to connect to the Stratus. Your iPad can handle those as simultaneous connections. I have a 210 and a Stratux (the homebrew version) and I have both connected at the same time. I get ARHS and ADSB through both. Stratux is an "all goes to crap" back up.

I fly IFR quite a bit so when updating my Garmin 750's nav database I was tempted into buying the 12 month package that contained everything. Nav datbase, charts, terrain, etc etc. I really don't need this information since I fly with foreflight on my iPad, but I figured since the bundle saved me $200 and I got all the information you could possibly need to fly all on just the Garmin it'd be worth the 600+$ for a backup to my iPad and I'd keep my Garmin current for the year.

Well I also use flight stream 510 to upload my flight plans from my ipad to the 750 and vice versa. It uses a SD card to share the information. This is also the same slot where you need to insert an SD card to upload the new databases. WELL APPARENTLY for charts, terrain, and obstacle information to work on the 750 you have to keep this upload SD card inserted. Even worse I can't just flip the cards in flight without rebooting the entire avionics system. So now I either fly with the information I paid an extra $400 dollars for or use the 1.5k$ flight stream.

I am totally shocked that a 30K computer and GPS can't hold 500mb of information and needs to use an SD card for memory support. Someone please tell me I'm wrong and there's a way to get the information onto the base 750...
I have never removed my fs510 since the day I got it. Why would you remove it ? Especially during a flight?

You'll need Garmin Pilot to upload nav data over wifi to the 510. Honestly, I'd just load it on the 510 SD card if it were me and you want to stay on Foreflight. Not sure if your iPad can connect to the 510 and stratus simultaneously. The ability for flight plan changes to pass back and forth between your GTN and your iPad is a big benefit of having the 510.

Do you have an ADSB in solution other than the stratus? If not, you might be a candidate to downgrade to a 210 (which requires installation). Sell the 510. Use bluetooth to connect to the GTN for flight plan and ADSB data. Use wifi to connect to the Stratus. Your iPad can handle those as simultaneous connections. I have a 210 and a Stratux (the homebrew version) and I have both connected at the same time. I get ARHS and ADSB through both. Stratux is an "all goes to crap" back up.

If you are using Garmin Pilot to update your charts through the 510 you only need to be connected to the 510 when you are doing the update (the updates are installed on the 510 SD card). After the update is installed you can switch your wifi to the Stratus. You only need to be connected to the 510 to load updates or to load a flight plan. I don't have a Stratus so I'm not sure about connecting to both Wifi's at the same time. If this can't be done, I would suggest you connect your Ipad to the 510 first and do any updates required and load your flight plan. Once that's done you can switch back to the Stratus. Any flight plan changes will need to be done on the 750 though unless you want to keep going back an forth on the Wifi. I have the Garmin 345 transponder and can connect to both at the same time, not sure about the Stratus.

Is there a way to get the 510 to work in non approved garmin displays, like the g3000?

Update. It's easy to use Garmin's database concierge to upload all the 700$ worth of charts to the flight stream 510. Bad news though since I just learned once my Garmin Pilot free trial expires I need to buy the annual Garmin Pilot subscription for 80$. Straight from Garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. You need at least the US Standard Garmin Pilot subscription to use the Database Concierge feature. If you use database concierge to transfer Jeppesen charts to the panel, then you will also need the US Premium upgrade."

Update. It's easy to use Garmin's database concierge to upload all the 700$ worth of charts to the flight stream 510. Bad news though since I just learned once my Garmin Pilot free trial expires I need to buy the annual Garmin Pilot subscription for 80$. Straight from Garmin:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. You need at least the US Standard Garmin Pilot subscription to use the Database Concierge feature. If you use database concierge to transfer Jeppesen charts to the panel, then you will also need the US Premium upgrade."
IMO, its worth it. Pilot will automatically connect and upload the databases in the background. A no brainer for $80.

Just a suggestion, I don't get the $700 bundle anymore. I just get the GTN United States Garmin Navigation Database for 300 bucks a year. That's really all that's required and I get everything else on my tablet.

Back