Garmin 696

Jhernandez04

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
TheHulk
If I already have a 196 in the plane wired in the panel could I use the exsisting lines from the 196 to hook up the 696? I realize they are bigger, but what I dont realize is whats envolved installing these thing, if anything.

Thanks for the help.

I think your problems will include differences in physical size, mounting brackets, and generational changes in power-plug and antenna connectors. Other than that, it should be a piece of cake.

If I already have a 196 in the plane wired in the panel could I use the exsisting lines from the 196 to hook up the 696? I realize they are bigger, but what I dont realize is whats envolved installing these thing, if anything.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.

I haven't looked closely at the 696, but the cable plug for every other Garmin portable product I've seen for the last decade uses the same power/data cable plug (round, about 3/8" with 4 pin sockets in a square) and the code strings outputted are all standard NMEA strings as well as typically having a couple of others to chose from. The external antenna is the same as well.

So, as long as you can mount the 696 within reach of the current cables, you should have no issues with a 'plug and play' change over.

It's been a few years since I went from the 296 to the 496 & then to the 696. I'm quite sure that the cable connection is a bit larger. I'm looking at it right now. However, it's just a matter of soldering four wires together.

L.Adamson

696 and up use a different connector than the previous generations. I had to get a new cable when going from the 496 to the 696

Back