Garmin 696 Handheld question

Power cat

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Power cat
What are the chances that Garmin would sell me a replacement screen for a 696 or am I beholden to their $600 flat rate repair.

does anyone know who supplied their screens? Would love to not send it anywhere

I know you said you do not want to send it out, but here is an option. Sometimes the assurance of a job done right is worth the extra "cost":

https://www.palmdr.com/

My other passion is endurance motorcycle riding. Many different type of GPS units can be found at a typical LDR gathering. Although I have not needed the services of this place, it does seem to be the go-to repair service for the LDR community.

If they do not list your specific model, send them a note. It is widely known that their web site does not list all of the devices they repair and a quick email query can resolve things pretty quick.

Damn. I've got a 696 in great shape that I would let go for less than $600.

I totally forgot about them I think years ago I had them repair A bmw navigator 4. I’ll give them a call thanks!

I totally forgot about them I think years ago I had them repair A bmw navigator 4. I’ll give them a call thanks!

Keep us posted. Is always good to know the available options.

By the way if anyone is interested in the future, the manufacturer for the display is PVI and the part number for the Garmin GPSMAP 696/695 is PVI PM070WXF(LF)
Can be acquired from several (Chinese) sources between $100 refurbished and 180 new with new backlights. This of course is information Garmin will never release as they want a $600 flat rate repair fee for those device although they will come fully updated

Just getting back my repaired 696 from Palm Dr (thanks for the reminder) now called Short Trojics. He replaced several on the board components on the 696 and returned it back to full functionality for a fraction of the Garmin fee in just a few days. He works on all sorts of Garmin devices and boxes. Can’t say enough good things about them. Http://www.palmdr.com mention Vlad for a positive reference.

Just getting back my repaired 696 from Palm Dr (thanks for the reminder) now called Short Trojics. He replaced several on the board components on the 696 and returned it back to full functionality for a fraction of the Garmin fee in just a few days. He works on all sorts of Garmin devices and boxes. Can’t say enough good things about them. Http://www.palmdr.com mention Vlad for a positive reference.

Outstanding!! Another positive report. I have never heard a negative report about them yet! Wish I knew of them when I destroyed my GPSMAP 376c trying to get to the USB connector to resolder its pins. I never made it that far. :(

The Garmin 696 sure was great! I wish the new ones had buttons still.

I just sent my 696 to these folks. I highly recommend them for any of the products they fix. They fixed the encoder (dial that populates screen with identifiers) for a great bit less than Garmin's quote. They also do upgrades, update and memory battery replacement. I am very pleased with the service.

Back