Garmin 695 FPL limitation

Emmanuel

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Emmanuel
Hello to everybody,

I'm new of this forum, and since I don't have any answer back from Garmin support for my 695, I post here my 'little' problem.

I don't know wether this has been discussed here or not, but I found some annoying limitations with the 695/696 FPL creation.

I can't for example, use the same waypoint twice in the same flight. I should be able to do this, but I can't. The only workaround I found was to create a new user point over the 'original' waypoint.

I also would like to be able to select the same airport as departure and arrival. I also can't do this in the same FPL.
I know that is not 'that logical' to have the same airport as dest. and arrival in a FPL, but in a cross country flight in such a small country makes sense.

I don't know if some of you have some good entries at Garmin's, but this is (to me) just a question of software limitation and then could be fixed easily.
I tried to tell this to Garmin's support, but I don't even know if my email has been sent correctly !

Last thing concerns the 696 (that I don't have) I really envy you, US pilots for the meteo features the XM brings to you.
If only we could have that in Europe, but keep dreamin'

Emmanuel

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Hi Emmanuel! I can't tell you a thing about the 695, but I can say welcome to POA! Where are you located? We always love new members, especially those in foreign countries as we can all learn a lot from you, I'm sure. Welcome to the front porch of aviation, and now hopefully someone else will chime in that can actually help you with your question.

PS: Don't worry, your English is significantly better than most people on here.

Hello,

I'm French leaving in Switzerland (near Lausanne LSGL)
And flying over here is really great. I really love this country with the great Alps. They are as superbs as they can be dangerous. That's maybe the real beauty of the thing :)

Best regards from a country where each cloud hides a rock :smilewinkgrin:

Emmanuel

Hello to everybody,

I'm new of this forum, and since I don't have any answer back from Garmin support for my 695, I post here my 'little' problem.

I don't know whether this has been discussed here or not, but I found some annoying limitations with the 695/696 FPL creation.

I can't for example, use the same waypoint twice in the same flight. I should be able to do this, but I can't. The only workaround I found was to create a new user point over the 'original' waypoint.

I also would like to be able to select the same airport as departure and arrival. I also can't do this in the same FPL.
I know that is not 'that logical' to have the same airport as dest. and arrival in a FPL, but in a cross country flight in such a small country makes sense.

I don't know if some of you have some good entries at Garmin's, but this is (to me) just a question of software limitation and then could be fixed easily.
I tried to tell this to Garmin's support, but I don't even know if my email has been sent correctly !

Last thing concerns the 696 (that I don't have) I really envy you, US pilots for the meteo features the XM brings to you.
If only we could have that in Europe, but keep dreamin'

Emmanuel

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Emmanuel,

I have a 696 and was able to enter a flight plan with the departure airport and destination airport both the same. The software version in my 696 is 2.30. The latest software version on the Garmin website is 2.60.

You might want to update your unit to the latest version and see if you still have the problem.

Hello,

and thank you for your answer.

I have succeeded to set the same airport as dep. and arr. but I had to manually enter the ICAO code of the airport with the rotating knob.
I used to enter my flight plans with the useMap>Append softkeys (as Switzerland is a very small country), and this method doesn't work, as the arrow cursor over the waypoint gives its name, but pressing enter doesn't add this 'already' added waypoint. Holding the enter key brings the 'new user point creation menu'.

I haven't dowloaded yet the latest firmware or software of the 695/696, so I can't tell about that.

Anyway, thank you again, your answer helped me to improve the 695 handling.

Best regards

Emmanuel

ps: Why haven't you upgraded your 696 to the 2.6 version ? (just curious)

Emmanuel,

ps: Why haven't you upgraded your 696 to the 2.6 version ? (just curious)

If you start the download dialog on the Garmin website, it will get to a point which describes the fixes made with each version of the software. I read the changes and did not see anything that would induce me to update the software. As with other software, I prefer to not update until it has been stable for some time unless I need a particular fix, I prefer to let others find the bugs.

Regards,

John

Back