catmandu

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Catmandu
Right on time for the Christmas shopping season:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GarminR-GPSMAPR-696-A-Big-bw-13413185.html

garmin696.jpg

Great looking unit and feature rich! (including the price!) I would love to compare this unit to my Flight Cheetah 190. Thanks for posting!

GARMIN 696

I just got a note from Sporty's offering the GARMIN 696. That figures. Just after I get the 496.
From Garmin. "...we historically announce handhelds in the summer..." So why didn't they do so at Oshkosh?

Last edited:
At that price one might as well just go 430

Apples and oranges. For VFR flight, the 430 is truly archaic when compared to this new product. (Or, quite frankly, when compared to a 496.)

The 430s only strength is that it can be IFR certified.

So I guess your prayers have been answered Jay. This has been exactly your wish since before the 496 came out. You must be very excited about its release.

For $3,300 I think I'll stick with wanting a smaller GPS.

That price sure is a kick in the crotch. But it really does look pretty amazing, kind of half a G600 almost. I'm a little surprised no synthetic vision also, but maybe it will come in an update?

It really looks like the corrected most of the 296/396/496 deficiencies (screen size, interface, etc)...I would have to think long and hard to decide if it's in my price range though.

I think you'll see plenty of 496s on Ebay shortly.

As soon as they develop a panel dock for the 696, that's where my 496 will be.

Do you have any idea how big that "dock" would be? You would have very little room left in the stack for other things, such as, I dunno, radios!

I understand the need to "get bigger" I guess, but damn that thing is BIG for a "hand held".

Do you have any idea how big that "dock" would be? You would have very little room left in the stack for other things, such as, I dunno, radios!

I understand the need to "get bigger" I guess, but damn that thing is BIG for a "hand held".

I was thinking that was obvious, but they ship it with a yoke mount. Maybe it envelopes the yoke like a steering wheel cover. :goofy:

You're right Jay, it IS apples to oranges. The 430W will allow you to do GPS/VOR/LOC/BC/ILS approaches, communicate, and fly airways without a NAV backup. These are the reasons to get a 430. The 696 can do none of these so they are catering to different purposes (but not necessarily different sub-markets since IFR pilots will fly both IFR and VFR).

The 696 has a lot of cool stuff but IMO, it does not provide that "breakthrough" feature that was not available in other portables. FliteCharts are the big "new" feature with the size of the screen a close second. What made the others such a compelling buy was the addition of game-changing stuff like the virtual six (really five) pack (196), Terrain (296), Weather (396/496). Each of these features required either thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars to have in your cockpit prior to these portables (or at the very least a spaghetti full of wires). You could get the chart feature in a number of different tablet PCs so while it's an improvement, it's not as big as the others were. The new weather features are good too but again, not a huge breakthrough.

The size however, could hinder sales somewhat because let's face it, our cockpits aren't the roomiest places. Mounting the 696 will require an entirely empty stack on your panel and my guess is that very few aircraft have that luxury these days. That leaves the yoke. In that case, the size might be detrimental as well. But as a replacement for your charts, it might be an acceptable swap to take up all that real estate on that yoke in front of you. Hey, it may even provide incentive to go on that diet!

This could be a big seller regardless and I hope it is for the sake of my Garmin stock (ouch, I shouldn't even go there--it hurts just to think about it!). Garmin got good wood on the ball but whether it's a double or a home run remains to be seen.

Marco

So I guess your prayers have been answered Jay. This has been exactly your wish since before the 496 came out. You must be very excited about its release.

Yep! I've already got Jack Allison lined up to do some hand's on testing at the AOPA Expo next week. I've got a zillion questions that need to be answered before I dump the 496, but at first blush the 696 sure looks EXACTLY like what I've been demanding!

I just hope the panel dock boys are on this thing like RIGHT NOW. I'm already measuring it for fit!

:goofy:

You're right Jay, it IS apples to oranges. The 430W will allow you to do GPS/VOR/LOC/BC/ILS approaches, communicate, and fly airways without a NAV backup. These are the reasons to get a 430. The 696 can do none of these so they are catering to different purposes (but not necessarily different sub-markets since IFR pilots will fly both IFR and VFR).

The 696 has a lot of cool stuff but IMO, it does not provide that "breakthrough" feature that was not available in other portables. FliteCharts are the big "new" feature with the size of the screen a close second. What made the others such a compelling buy was the addition of game-changing stuff like the virtual six (really five) pack (196), Terrain (296), Weather (396/496). Each of these features required either thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars to have in your cockpit prior to these portables (or at the very least a spaghetti full of wires). You could get the chart feature in a number of different tablet PCs so while it's an improvement, it's not as big as the others were. The new weather features are good too but again, not a huge breakthrough.

The size however, could hinder sales somewhat because let's face it, our cockpits aren't the roomiest places. Mounting the 696 will require an entirely empty stack on your panel and my guess is that very few aircraft have that luxury these days. That leaves the yoke. In that case, the size might be detrimental as well. But as a replacement for your charts, it might be an acceptable swap to take up all that real estate on that yoke in front of you. Hey, it may even provide incentive to go on that diet!

This could be a big seller regardless and I hope it is for the sake of my Garmin stock (ouch, I shouldn't even go there--it hurts just to think about it!). Garmin got good wood on the ball but whether it's a double or a home run remains to be seen.

Marco

I've already got the 496 panel docked, right above my CD/intercom. That takes up an entire stack, so I only have to move the intercom (and there's room for it) to make room for the 696.

I've got to do some final measurements, but I know the AvMap EKP IV fit...as I was planning on buying one at (probably) Sun N Fun.

Seems they left the door open by skipping the 596/595 model numbers. Leaves a slot to slide in a 496 form factor device in the future maybe (?).

It really looks like the corrected most of the 296/396/496 deficiencies (screen size, interface, etc)...I would have to think long and hard to decide if it's in my price range though.

I never thought that I would purchase a 496 because of the price. However, after sitting at OSH for three additional days due to unknown weather conditions enroute to home, I spent the money. I would not fly a cross country with pax without one now.

I never thought that I would purchase a 496 because of the price. However, after sitting at OSH for three additional days due to unknown weather conditions enroute to home, I spent the money. I would not fly a cross country with pax without one now.

I hear you. But are you saying the 696 will be worth it or that the 496 is all you think you'd need?

Garmin already has panel mounted devices that have similar functions to the new 696 but the point is, like BK's AV8OR, they are addressing the needs of the "portable pilot". A panel mounted 5" or 11" (or even my 496) display doesn't do me any good if I'm in another aircraft.
I do intend to keep a portable even when/if I upgrade to some PFD. It won't be used as much, but it'll be ready when needed.

I hear you. But are you saying the 696 will be worth it or that the 496 is all you think you'd need?

I would like the larger screen of the 696. As of OSH 08 I acquired the requisite RAM mounting parts for the best possible setups in the rental aircraft I fly. I can now place the 496 where I want it for best screen viewing while leaving the panel completely unobstructed. The larger size of the 696 would cause me to rethink the placement, but the added capabliity and screen size are appealing.
Old eyes want the best solutions.
I also use the 496 on long automobile trips and the 696 (according to the specs) does not provide and automotive solution.

$3000

Holy Cow,,,,, way more than I want in a hand held GPS. You can get a Garmin 300 IFR approved for that.

I'll stick with Lowrance 2000C It is all I need, and $2400 worth of fuel to go play with it.

Look out the window, if the picture ain't right fix it.

I'm using Anywheremap ATC both for road and air navigation . It costs around $600. Portable, light and have most of the features of G-695. :tongue:

I'm using Anywheremap ATC both for road and air navigation . It costs around $600. Portable, light and have most of the features of G-695. :tongue:

How many times have you had to reboot that bad boy? :mad2:

How many times have you had to reboot that bad boy? :mad2:

Believe it or not zero times. But I do update it constantly. The only problem I have was to accessing some menus with my fat finger, but they fixed it in last build :lol:

Yep! I've already got Jack Allison lined up to do some hand's on testing at the AOPA Expo next week.

Jay...

Is Jack Allison someone from Garmin, and you're going to Expo? Or is Jack Allison someone you know who's going to Expo who's gonna beat on the 696 for ya?

(If you're going to Expo, can I hitch a ride? :redface:)

Seems they left the door open by skipping the 596/595 model numbers. Leaves a slot to slide in a 496 form factor device in the future maybe (?).

That's kinda what I was thinking.

Pro:
They've changed from the Garmin data cards to SD cards, which are MUCH cheaper.
It should be easier to enter airport ID's and such using the knob/joystick than the four-way keypad of the 496
Large screen allows you to display more information on one screen rather than moving between a bunch of different screens.
New view: Terrain along your path

Con:
I'm really disappointed that it no longer has the automotive features, as that makes getting around unfamiliar places in the courtesy car MUCH easier.
Come ON people, haven't you heard of a touchscreen?
Price. I hope the 496 price comes down at least.
Dammit, now I have to wait and see what the 596 turns out to be

Neutral:
Dimensions: It's the same width and 1/10th of an inch thicker than a 496, but about 2.4x taller and 2.5x heavier.

I have always thought Garmin products were over priced, but maybe thats because I can't afford them.:rolleyes:

I see the same design carried by Netjet pilots. I'm not sure who the maker is but I've heard a couple pilots swear by them for instrument procedures.

Jay...

Is Jack Allison someone from Garmin, and you're going to Expo? Or is Jack Allison someone you know who's going to Expo who's gonna beat on the 696 for ya?

(If you're going to Expo, can I hitch a ride? :redface:)

Jack's a friend who lives out on the Left Coast. He's our "designated button masher" on the 696 (there are a group of us Midwesterners who have nominated him for the task) because none of us can get there from here...

Nice box, but I'm keeping my 496: the 696 is just too big for my cockpit. The 496 does me just fine. I'm also disappointed to hear the 696 won't do automotive navigation, although I can see why: it's way too big to put up on the dash. I use my 496 in the rent car whenever I travel.

That leaves the yoke. In that case, the size might be detrimental as well. But as a replacement for your charts, it might be an acceptable swap to take up all that real estate on that yoke in front of you. Hey, it may even provide incentive to go on that diet!

Marco

Marco, nice comparison on the "96" series! You bring up some valid points in the race to a larger screen, Cost / Benefit > Size

I operate the flight cheetah FL190 (www.aviationsafety.com) which is a Samsung Q1 ultra yoke mounted. I use a RAM mount and works great. No real issues w/ gauge obstruction and the platform is easy to use and see. Wire management was easy and sanitary. I'll post pics when I dig them up in my archives...

Last edited:
I am not a fan of yoke mounts. It feels as though it places a lot of mass where I do not want it. They inevitably block my view of the engine instruments on the lower panel on the Piper's that I fly (Cherokee Six, Turbo Arrow IV).
I use a RAM mount suction cup with extension arms attached to the side windscreen. I then adjust the arms to place the GPS so that it does not obscure any instruments and is in a comfortable position to press the buttons and see the screen.

Marco, nice comparison on the "96" series! You bring up some valid points in the race to a larger screen, Cost / Benefit > Size

I operate the flight cheetah FL190 (www.aviationsafety.com) which is a Samsung Q1 ultra yoke mounted. I use a RAM mount and works great. No real issues w/ gauge obstruction and the platform is easy to use and see. Wire management was easy and sanitary. I'll post pics when I dig them up in my archives...

I've seen some nice setups with tablet PC's so whether or not the increased size is a pro or con is very subjective. I love seeing neatly organized and functionally optimized cockpits so I would be interested in seeing your setup with particular interest in how you tackled the wiring issues. My 496 is an all-in-one box but I quickly realized that taking advantage of all its features while it was yoke-mounted entailed no less than three wires that needed attention. I also wanted my approach charts in front of me so it was relegated to the opposite yoke and a less-than-optimal viewing angle. That made me spend the $700 to get it AirGizmos mounted and integrated in my panel even though I had to travel across 3 states to find a shop with an accomodating FSDO.

However, that does bring up another 696 advantage. With the 696 yoke-mounted in the front (i.e. left) yoke, you will still have your "charts" in front of you which is where most pilots want it (though I'd be curious to see how it may interfere with the line of sight to the DG or HSI).

That said, I'm still going to drool over the 696 like any techno-geek/pilot. I confess that I have had sinful images of an Aspen EFD1000 and panel-mounted 696 in my Warrior floating in my head the past couple of days. A "glass" cockpit that's under $18K installed ($13K-Aspen, $4K Garmin + hardware) is a compelling deal indeed.

Marco

IHowever, that does bring up another 696 advantage. With the 696 yoke-mounted in the front (i.e. left) yoke, you will still have your "charts" in front of you which is where most pilots want it (though I'd be curious to see how it may interfere with the line of sight to the DG or HSI).

Does anyone know if the gps overlays the approach plate?
Is it see the gps track or see the approach plate?
Does one have to toggle back and forth?

Does anyone know if the gps overlays the approach plate?
Is it see the gps track or see the approach plate?
Does one have to toggle back and forth?

I don't believe it does the overlay. Aero-TV has a two part overview of all the features and that was not mentioned at all and they went into significant detail. It does have Safe Taxi which is also available on the 496.

The new weather features offered include the icing potential, PIREPS, and turbulence potential. It will cost you though because you'll need the Aviator Pro level of service from XM which is $100/month.

The 696 doesn't seem to have that new feature that changes the way you fly like the XM weather did in the 396/496--unless of course you're jumping from a non-XM weather portable. Electronic charts are great but I consider it a convenience feature more than a flight safety one. Pre-Oshkosh, I was putting my bets on a synthetic vision portable because that, IMO, would be a game-changer like the addition of XM Weather.

Maybe they're saving that for the 596...

Back