Garmin 650 pricing

Well, a non WAAS box means you still will need to be getting a WAAS ADS-B input in the near future. Non WAAS boxes block vertical guidance from display. Without having the GPS equivalent of an ILS and relegating it to the GPS equivalent of a VOR approach degrades the practical value of this box, especially to the 'occasional IFR' pilot, immensely. You as a pro daily IFR pilot may be perfectly comfortable with non precision style approaches, no worries, but that doesn't transfer to most GA pilots.

If you want full functionality and approaches on base budget, look at the Garmin GPS 400W.

or a 625

Can I drive my Century I autopilot (its built into the turn coordinator) with a Garmin Aera? How? (currently it follows the King KLN90B or the KX155, or is a wing leveler). What that would give me is the airspace (class B,C,D, which my King doesn't have. I don't really have room for both.

Last edited:

That too, it's not a bunch more. The built in radios are really handy since you can just pop up the frequency for where you are, but in all, it doesn't add to functionality except in ergonomics.

I never thought I would consider a GPS only unit like the 400 or 625 until discussing installation prices touched on needing a new audio panel and tossing a perfectly good KX155.
The simplest installation retains my crappy, but totally fine audio panel and current radios.

I'd be replacing a KLN89B on the GPS side.

I never thought I would consider a GPS only unit like the 400 or 625 until discussing installation prices touched on needing a new audio panel and tossing a perfectly good KX155.
The simplest installation retains my crappy, but totally fine audio panel and current radios.

I'd be replacing a KLN89B on the GPS side.

You don't have to buy the full feature unit to get all the GPS benefits. If you have everything else covered already and are looking for the lowest cost option to gain full GPS capability, these are the best option.

I got quoted 25k for replacing my King KLN90B and KX155 with a Garmin 650, and replacing my transponder with an ADSB in and out, and a new VOR head as well as all the connections and antennas and details. Seems really high to me, but that's what he "round balled" quoted. (a 5 minute estimate, but he knows, hes doing it to others). He said its within 5k for sure.

I got quoted 25k for replacing my King KLN90B and KX155 with a Garmin 650, and replacing my transponder with an ADSB in and out, and a new VOR head as well as all the connections and antennas and details. Seems really high to me, but that's what he "round balled" quoted. (a 5 minute estimate, but he knows, hes doing it to others). He said its within 5k for sure.

Had this work done on my 172 about a year and a half ago. Here are the rough price breakdowns:

PMA8000B Audio Panel - 2500
Garmin Indicator - 1000
GTN 650 - 9000
Install - 8000

All in I think it was about 21k in a very good and reputable shop. Yes the guys will say it's overkill, but damn it's nice. I wish I had an autopilot to pair it with, but I'll be happy for it once I start my instrument training.

If I understand your situation correctly, you own a never-to-be IFR-legal DA20, you have a dead Garmin150, and are looking to replace it with a GPS suitable for IR training. Budget seems to be an issue. Even if budget is not an issue the cap on the value of a DA20 still argues against a gold-plated solution.

If you plan to hold onto the plane into 2020 and beyond, then you are going to want a WAAS solution. May as well update whatever transponder you have while you are at it. The budget solution is a GNS430W, even if prices aren't to your liking. The future-protecting choice is the GNS650, not that you need bells-and-whistles but so you aren't stuck with another orphan unit as you are now. 430 support from Garmin, and availability of those proprietary data cards, will end sooner than they will for the 650s. Much sooner.

If you don't plan to own the plane past, say 2018, and you are worried about one or two grand, then get a KNS94 used. Crap? Maybe, but it is cheaper and will do the job (approach-certified). You will have a panel-mounted IFR-legal solution, even if your plane isn't IFR-legal. I think it will cost you at resale more than what you save now, as buyers will be looking for ADS-B-equipped planes, but who knows?

Just curious, but for the people who've looked (or actually had them installed), where seems to be the best price for a GTN650 & GI106A purchase/install? Just from the limited searching I've been able to do, if I had the money ready to go, I'd drop the plane at either Gulf Coast or Sarasota...anyone found better?

It would be great if there were a place to look where people could leave reviews for various shops around the country and you could search by region. Anyone found anything like that?

Just curious, but for the people who've looked (or actually had them installed), where seems to be the best price for a GTN650 & GI106A purchase/install? Just from the limited searching I've been able to do, if I had the money ready to go, I'd drop the plane at either Gulf Coast or Sarasota...anyone found better?

It would be great if there were a place to look where people could leave reviews for various shops around the country and you could search by region. Anyone found anything like that?

Unfortunately there isn't an "Angie's List" (at least none that I am aware of) for avionics shops. Even if there was, the differences between what is interfacing with what will make a hard Apple to Apple comparison of little value.

My advice is to solicit feedback like this from owners who have used different shops. The expensive shop may not be the best nor the cheapest shop be the worst. It is all about the quality of the install and the after sale support you receive. Also keep in mind that dropping off a shop several hundred miles away from your home base will make it difficult for any warranty work for the quality of their installation.

Ask around...

Ask around...

I think this is more of what I was asking...is there a shop people use more than others. Obviously we're all spread out across the country, but there might be someone not too far away that really makes it worth it. ;)

I think this is more of what I was asking...is there a shop people use more than others. Obviously we're all spread out across the country, but there might be someone not too far away that really makes it worth it. ;)

All it takes is email. Build yourself a quote request and be thorough.

#1 Picture of the panel
#2 Make, model and year of the airplane
#3 List of current equipment including the forgotten encoder, autopilot etc
#4 List what you want removed, installed, replaced and/or relocated.

Send said email to any shop you wish.

One thing I've noticed about the 650 is that the colors of airspace boundaries make them a lot harder to see than on the 430. Is there any menu option to change those?

Gulf Coast has a good reputation.

As does Sarasota, but in my experience the time required exceeds their estimate which is probably a best case

This is pretty much the same regardless what you do to a plane or where.:rofl:

There is a way to avoid this, set a date after which delivery will cost them a large punitive fee.

Back