Garmin 530W LPV Issues

Chris Schreiber

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
C Schreiber
Hello all,

I have a Garmin 530W navigator that has recently/suddenly begun to only give LNAV GPS instrument approaches (No LPV or LNAV + V). It was performing flawlessly before. All other navigation features work perfectly.

We did swap the 2nd radio out for a radio of the same type (Narco MkI2D). The old unit quit powering up. This was just a swap out in the tray though. No antennae or other changes were made. I don't believe in coincidences, but I can't see how this would have caused the issues. I haven't tried pulling the 2nd radio yet, but I have tried to arm approaches with the 2nd radio off, with no success. Please help!

I don’t remember how to get there, but check the RAIM on the unit next time you’re out. How many satellites are you locked on to in flight.

I don’t remember how to get there, but check the RAIM on the unit next time you’re out. How many satellites are you locked on to in flight.
I'll check on the number, but RAIM coverage has been good. Also, other planes have been able to get the same LPV approach that I'm not at about the same time. Finally, I think with poor RAIM, the G530 gives an INTEG error message and will also not give horizontal data for approaches :(. I will double check the next time I'm up though.

Are you just not getting the virtual glide slope? What display is it driving (g5, plain CDI, etc). I had a similar issue with my gtn’s after a software update, but there isn’t a similar software change for the GNS. Wondering if it’s a standard CDI and the wires were somehow interrupted by the other radio change. There is a thread on BT with similar complain and there is a suggestion to check the 429 config that labels are enabled, but that would only be if you are driving the display over 429 (g5/txi/Aspen/etc). https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=124452&start=0

Hello all,

I have a Garmin 530W navigator that has recently/suddenly begun to only give LNAV GPS instrument approaches (No LPV or LNAV + V). It was performing flawlessly before. All other navigation features work perfectly.

We did swap the 2nd radio out for a radio of the same type (Narco MkI2D). The old unit quit powering up. This was just a swap out in the tray though. No antennae or other changes were made. I don't believe in coincidences, but I can't see how this would have caused the issues. I haven't tried pulling the 2nd radio yet, but I have tried to arm approaches with the 2nd radio off, with no success. Please help!

What do you use for a Glideslope needle? The Mk12D is a NAVCOM with Glideslope. Were you getting Glideslope when using the 530 from the same CDI you would if doing an ILS with the Mk12D? Maybe something happened and the 530 just lost It’s connection to the Glideslope needle so will not offer LPV’s or VNAV + V

I'll check on the number, but RAIM coverage has been good. Also, other planes have been able to get the same LPV approach that I'm not at about the same time. Finally, I think with poor RAIM, the G530 gives an INTEG error message and will also not give horizontal data for approaches :(. I will double check the next time I'm up though.

RAIM is not used for WAAS (nor therefore LPV approaches), but it sounds like you don't have a WAAS signal. Could it be something with the coax from your antenna?

I had the exact same failure in my GNS-430 several years ago. After thinking there was some sort of WAAS issue for a month or so (there wasn't), I reluctantly sent it in for the required minimum $1200 or so Garmin service. The verdict was a failed vertical guidance circuit board. What was maddening is that there is no error flag or annunciation mode in the Garmin GNS boxes that hints this limited failure has happened. The good news is that apparently the vertical and horizontal guidance circuits are somehow separated, so it simply downgrades to LNAV only and otherwise functions normally. Integrity is not the issue so that's why it doesn't flag.

When I got my unit back, it was back up to snuff with the latest firmware, and the repair ticket indicated they had also soldered a patch wire on the main circuit board to fix an issue with my run of GNS units. Garmin sent me a loaner unit to use while mine was in for repair, and it wasn't TOO expensive. The loaner screen failed in a week, so they sent me another GNS-430 loaner at no cost, although some GNS-430 boxes got quite a few UPS or Fedex rides. It took about 3-4 weeks to get my unit back.

Back