Garmin 496

bjohnson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Driver
Ok guys...Bill and I need to buy a 496 for our Mooney. We will be using it specifically for XM weather and as a back up to the 430. Most all of the vender's I have come across have an advertised price of $2795. Has anyone bought it for less?

why do you need the 496 vs. 396? especially if you just need weather? 396 can be had for under 2000 now i think.

Ok guys...Bill and I need to buy a 496 for our Mooney. We will be using it specifically for XM weather and as a back up to the 430. Most all of the vender's I have come across have an advertised price of $2795. Has anyone bought it for less?

I doubt you'll find a legitimate unit for less than that. I've heard that Garmin cuts off dealers who discount aviation products, but don't know for sure that that is so.

We have one in our R44 to supplement the 430 also.

why do you need the 496 vs. 396? especially if you just need weather? 396 can be had for under 2000 now i think.
I forgot to mention that it will be used on the road as well. All the detailed street level maps are preloaded on the 496 - no messing with software like on the 396. Also fast 5 Hz GPS updating of map data and "Panel" display gives a smoother, near "real-time" presentation of turn coordinator and HSI. If (or when) we have an electrical failure this feature can assist on getting the aircraft down.

gotcha brent. when you find a cheap one, buy me one too!

I believe that's for a used unit, Tony.

I struggled with the 396 vs 496 decision and went with the 496. I have no regrets. The auto mapping works great out of the box. I wind up using the taxiway diagram and AOPA airport information every flight. The 5hz update rate is noticable as well. Though the physical display is the same, the 496 data is higher resolution and less blocky due to the increased RAM.

I don't know if the deal is still in place but a month ago if you were a Chrysler employee you could get the Garmin 496 for around 2100.00 Try and find someone who works for Chrysler and see if the deal is still going on.

Regards Mike

Back