Garmin 496 lost maps?

tdager

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
LittleIronPilot
I have a 496 that I recently updated (due to the DST issue) with the latest software. However now I seem to have lost road map detail I had before. When it boots up it also no longer lists the City Navigator NT on the list of installed software on the unit.

However whenever I try to move the maps from Map Source in my computer to my GPS it tells me I do not have an installed memory card.

Of course I do not! I have not needed one, however my street is now missing from the GPS. It WAS there before the update...what the hell happened?

I have a 496 that I recently updated (due to the DST issue) with the latest software. However now I seem to have lost road map detail I had before. When it boots up it also no longer lists the City Navigator NT on the list of installed software on the unit.

However whenever I try to move the maps from Map Source in my computer to my GPS it tells me I do not have an installed memory card.

Of course I do not! I have not needed one, however my street is now missing from the GPS. It WAS there before the update...what the hell happened?
It's still there; I had the same problem. When you say it lo longer lists is as "installed", you mean that it lists the item there, but the check-box next to it is unchecked, right? I fixed it by going into one of the map database setup pages and telling it to restore defaults.

I don't remember for sure, but try something like:
from automotive map page
press [Menu]
select "Map Information"
press [menu]
select "Show Defaults"

I actually don't think that's precisely the path I took, but I do know that "Show Defaults" or "Restore Defaults" was the choice on one of the menus, and then it came back.

Grant...thanks I found that just before you posted.

Yuppers...the City Navigator was unchecked! What a moronic thing to do!!!!

BTW...there is no way to update the database on the system is there. So to get the latest street maps 5 years from now we will need a damn card to load the latest maps....arrrgggghhhh.

Grant...thanks I found that just before you posted.

Yuppers...the City Navigator was unchecked! What a moronic thing to do!!!!

BTW...there is no way to update the database on the system is there. So to get the latest street maps 5 years from now we will need a damn card to load the latest maps....arrrgggghhhh.
Do you think it'll load even if we have a card?:dunno: It might just come back and say that it's already loaded.

Back